Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Let's assume I'm trying to decide wheter to choose A or B but I dont have enough information on the difference between them. İn that case would I say:
"My choice depends on the information I"ll get"
or
"My choice will depend on the information I'll get"

I don't know if this is strange but I guess there is a similarity with this situation and the situation where you can use interchangabily the first and zero conditionals. I guess I'm confused a bit 😅

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's assume I'm trying to decide whether to choose A or B but I don't have enough information on the difference between them. İn that case would I say: "My choice depends on the information I"ll get" or "My choice will depend on the information I'll get"?

I would say: My choice will depend on the information I get.

"I'll" might be more grammatical, but it doesn't seem as natural as "I." Let's see what a teacher thinks.

I don't know if this is strange, but I guess there is a similarity with this situation and the situation where you can use interchangabily the first and zero conditionals. I guess I'm confused a bit.
You're not alone!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"My choice depends on the information I'll get":cross:
or
"My choice will depend on the information [STRIKE]I'll[/STRIKE] I get":tick:
See above. "I'll" isn't correct. We use the present simple.

Andromeda

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
See above. "I'll" isn't correct. We use the present simple.

Both sentences work; depending upon the the context:

For example:
1) Merilyn asks her husband: "Which of the two pairs are you intending to buy?"
Husband: "My choice depends on the information that I'll get from the salesperson tomorrow." (colloquial but fine)

2) The pastor says: "In 2024, you will get a chance to sing at the palace; which song will you choose?"

Celine: "Depending on the circumstances, my choice will depend on the information that I will I get from the people in charge of the programme."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd use the present simple in both of the examples in the previous post.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Quirk et al (1985.1008-9) look at a number of such cases, though give no specific reason.

My own idea is that we normally do not use modal will ('ll) unless there is a reason to. Let's look at your two examples.

1) Merilyn asks her husband: "Which of the two pairs are you intending to buy?"
Husband: "
My choice depends on the information that I'll get from the salesperson tomorrow."

The unmarked/present simple would be perfectly normal and natural there. However, with the former tense, the the futurity of the getting of information is not established until the final word of the sentence. Some speakers might unconsciously wish to show the futurity sooner. They might also wish to show the certainty of their getting the information. For different reasons, they might choose to say I'm going to get, I'll be getting or I'm getting. As in so many utterances, the unmarked form may be seen as the default choice,

2) The pastor says: "In 2024, you will (1) get a chance to sing at the palace; which song will
(2) you choose?"
Celine: "Depending on the circumstances,
my choice will
(3) depend on the information that I will (4) get from the people in charge of the programme."

Each of the four wills has a reason behind its choice. Looking just at the sentence you were asking about, Celine's words, I would use will in (3) but the present simple in (4). There is no good reason (for me) not to use the default tense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.