Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you refer to someone as Great-Grandfather in your story should you continue to refer to him as Great-Grandfather?
Example: I'm going to see my Great-Grandfather Bill. Would you have to continue that way or thereafter could you simply say Grandfather Bill throughout the rest of your story?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you refer to someone as Great-Grandfather in your story, should you continue to refer to him as Great-Grandfather?
Example: I'm going to see my great-grandfather Bill. Would you have to continue that way or thereafter could you simply say "Grandfather Bill" throughout the rest of your story?

First, let's clear up the potential confusion over whether to capitalise it or not. When you're using it as a common noun, don't capitalise it: He is my great-grandfather.
When you're using it as a proper noun (as a direct/indirect form of address), capitalise it: I'm going to visit Great-grandfather Bill. (Note that we capitalise only the first "G".)

As to your other question, no, you can't call him "Grandfather Bill" if he's not your grandfather. You've already stated that he's your great-grandfather so that's what you'll have to use.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You can, after one or two instances of great-grandfather, also drop the title and simply refer to him as Bill.

MomDee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your response. Would it be correct to refer to Great-Grandfather Bill as simply Grandfather?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hasn't that question already been answered? Also please note that I have moved this thread to Editing and Writing Topics since you mentioned it's part of a story.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In real life, older relatives are given nicknames for the convenience of young children, like 'Nan', 'Gramps', 'Pop-Pop' etc. These often persist as the children grow up – even into adulthood.

You can use these in your story, having established the formal relationship earlier.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your response. Would it be correct to refer to Great-Grandfather Bill as simply Grandfather?

Read the final two sentences of my reply in post #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.