"help + infinitive" OR "help to + infinitive"?

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 75,341
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi Teachers,

In one of the forum's older posts, I have read that both variants are correct, but with this remark: "I'm going to leave the explanations to one of the other teachers here."

Could someone provide an explanation? Is "help" being used somewhat like modal verb here? Everybody seems to be using "help do" now, but is correct - or just acceptable?

Thanks!
Sergei

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Could you direct me to the 'older' post? I'm having trouble finding it. :oops:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
sergei said:
Here are directions to the 'older' post:

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-134.html

Cheers,
S
If you scroll down, you'll find the following response was given for "help to" or "help":

Mike in New York said:
Either form is acceptable. In both cases "clean" is an infinitive. One is a "to" infinitive and the other is a bare infinitive. The verb help takes either.
EX: help me to clean the house. (OK)
EX: help me clean the house. (OK)

S

sergei

Thanks for your reply. I have seen this answer, but I do not find this complete.
<<<<ither form is acceptable. In both cases "clean" is an infinitive. One is a "to" infinitive and the other is a bare infinitive. The verb help takes either.>>>>
More and more things are now "acceptable" by the general public, but what is the original rule? Any references (apart fromMike in New York)?

Anybody?

Thanks!
S

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
sergei said:
Thanks for your reply. I have seen this answer, but I do not find this complete.
<<<<ither form is acceptable. In both cases "clean" is an infinitive. One is a "to" infinitive and the other is a bare infinitive. The verb help takes either.>>>>
More and more things are now "acceptable" by the general public, but what is the original rule? Any references (apart from Mike in New York)?

Anybody?

Thanks!
S
Verbs of perception — hear, see, watch — and a handful of other verbs — need, help, let, and make — will take what is called the bare infinitive, an infinitive without the particle "to."

Status
Not open for further replies.