Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I've already discussed part of this sentence with bhaisahab. Here's the complete sentence.

"A visit to to the canopy of leaves puts familiar subjects in new perspectives and adds a few surprises."

There are a couple things I would change in this sentence. It's "visit to" and "subjects".

"A walk under the canopy of leaves puts familiar objects in new perspectives and adds a few surprises." 2) We say "put something in perspective". Is it "puts in new perspective", "new perspectives" or "in a new perspective"?

For me a visit to "the canopy of leaves" would have been when somebody climed up the tree.

Given it a second thought, "subjects" might fit in the context if the speaker is an artist?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If the speaker is a artist, then subjects may work better. A walk under is fine to me, but how about simply Being under...?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If the speaker is a artist, then subjects may work better. A walk under is fine to me, but how about simply Being under...?

"Being under.." hits the bull's eye. It's just "visit to" that sounded weirdly to me. What about 2) "Put in..."?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about gives/lends new perspectives...?

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"A visit to to the canopy of leaves puts familiar subjects in new perspectives and adds a few surprises."

There are a couple things I would change in this sentence. It's "visit to" and "subjects".
Ostap, I'm having difficulty with your question because I don't have the complete context.

In my opinion, and without said context, the sentence is perfect as written. Here's why:

- "a visit to the canopy" implies that the writer did, in fact, ascend to the tops of the trees, as one can do in some rainforest vacation camps. What better way for a human to get a new perspective, seeing things from the tops of trees instead of ground level?

- "subjects" implies scientific observation, which is consistent with the idea of seeing things from perspectives;

- "puts in" is a perfectly acceptable collocation with "new perspectives" - people are always asked to "put things in perspective"!

- "new perspectives" is plural because "subjects" is plural, and each subject gets a new perspective when seen from above;

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Ostap, I'm having difficulty with your question because I don't have the complete context.

In my opinion, and without said context, the sentence is perfect as written. Here's why:

- "a visit to the canopy" implies that the writer did, in fact, ascend to the tops of the trees, as one can do in some rainforest vacation camps. What better way for a human to get a new perspective, seeing things from the tops of trees instead of ground level?

- "subjects" implies scientific observation, which is consistent with the idea of seeing things from perspectives;

- "puts in" is a perfectly acceptable collocation with "new perspectives" - people are always asked to "put things in perspective"!

- "new perspectives" is plural because "subjects" is plural, and each subject gets a new perspective when seen from above;
I don't have the context. We had to translate sentences in class without any context. Our teacher insited on us translating it as " a walk under ....'' which some of us contradicted. We said what the speaker must have meant "climbing up a tree..".

Last edited:

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't have the context. We had to translate sentences in class without any context. Our teacher insited on us translating it as " a walk under ....'' which some of us contradicted. We said what the speaker must have meant "climing up a tree..".
Oh, I'm sorry! :-| For what it's worth, I think your teacher was mistaken, and that the original meaning is exactly what I was thinking: someone took a vacation in the rainforests of Costa Rica, and really did get to spend time in the very tops of the trees...
You have a very good instinct for language!

(P.S. check spelling of climbing)

Status
Not open for further replies.