Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is the second thread of yours featuring your philosophical aphorisms, ahsanul.irfan.

Perhaps they'd be better posted in the Editing & Writing Topics forum, with an explanation of your intended meaning before the quote rather than in post #3.

I see you posted the same thread here.

Please don't post the same question to different forums simultaneously. Post on one forum only, wait for responses and then, only if you are disappointed with/confused by the responses (or there aren't any), post on another forum and include a link to the first forum thread.
(emsr2d2)

Last edited:

ahsanul.irfan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
This is the second thread of yours featuring your philosophical aphorisms, ahsanul.irfan.

Perhaps they'd be better posted in the Editing & Writing Topics forum, with an explanation of your intended meaning before the quote rather than in post #3.

I see you posted the same thread here.

(emsr2d2)
OK, I won't make this mistake again.

ahsanul.irfan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Not even if you spell 'clever' correctly.
"A clever man becomes a lover of wisdom by his suffering, and becomes a comedian by happiness."

Does it now make sense?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"A clever man becomes a lover of wisdom by his suffering, and becomes a comedian by happiness."

Does it now make sense?
It's hard to tell what it's supposed to mean. Did you write that yourself?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
"A cleaver man is a lover of wisdom by suffering, and a comedian by happiness."
I'm guessing you mean that if an intelligent man undergoes suffering, he becomes wiser for the experience, and if he experiences happiness, is able to appreciate it with laughter and humour.

If I'm right, I guessed it only because I'm from the subcontinent too. The sentence sounds meaningless unless you think hard about what it could mean.
If I'm wrong, add me to the list of people who couldn't understand it.

ahsanul.irfan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I'm guessing you mean that if an intelligent man undergoes suffering, he becomes wiser for the experience, and if he experiences happiness, is able to appreciate it with laughter and humour.

If I'm right, I guessed it only because I'm from the subcontinent too. The sentence sounds meaningless unless you think hard about what it could mean.
If I'm wrong, add me to the list of people who couldn't understand it.
"If a clever man undergoes suffering, he starts to become a fonder of wisdom, and if a clever man undergoes happiness, he starts to become a comedian." Does it make sense?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
No. Apart from the grammatical mistakes, it's not necessarily correct factually.

"Fonder" isn't a noun (unless the a before it was a typo.

There are lots of clever people who have had times of happiness but they aren't necessarily comedians.

You evidently didn't notice that I replaced "clever" with "intelligent" in my earlier reply. That was for a reason.

Last edited:

ahsanul.irfan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
No. Apart from the grammatical mistakes, it's not necessarily correct factually.

"Fonder" isn't a noun (unless the a before it was a typo.

There are lots of clever people who have had times of happiness but they aren't necessarily comedians.

You evidently didn't notice that I replaced "clever" with "intelligent" in my earlier reply. That was for a reason.
"When a very intelligent man lives a life of suffering, he starts to become fond of wisdom, and when a very intelligent man lives a life of great joy, he starts to become a comedian."

Is it now factually correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. It's grammatical.
2. I am not sure if one can becaome 'fond of wisdom'.
2.. There is no way of proving the factual truth of such a statement.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Factually correct? Possibly for some people and just as possibly not for many more. There are millions of people living a life of suffering and I very much doubt the experience has made them "fond of wisdom" (whatever that means). In the same way, just as many people are probably living a life of great joy, but aren't comedians.

I have no idea what you're basing these claims on.

(Cross-posted with 5jj)

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
"When a very intelligent man lives a life of suffering, he starts to become fond of wisdom, and when a very intelligent man lives a life of great joy, he starts to become a comedian."

Is it now factually correct?
I'm wondering if you have the wrong idea of what "comedian" means.

A comedian is someone who tries to make others laugh, and often gets paid for it.

You could also use it towards someone who likes to make people laugh for their own satisfaction. I don't mean a person who's naturally cheerful and uplifts others' moods just by being around. I mean a person who's always making jokes and acting a little silly just to get a laugh. It's sometimes used in a faintly deprecatory way.

ahsanul.irfan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I'm wondering if you have the wrong idea of what "comedian" means.

A comedian is someone who tries to make others laugh, and often gets paid for it.

You could also use it towards someone who likes to make people laugh for their own satisfaction. I don't mean a person who's naturally cheerful and uplifts others' moods just by being around. I mean a person who's always making jokes and acting a little silly just to get a laugh. It's sometimes used in a faintly deprecatory way.
"When an intelligent man lives a life of suffering, he seeks wisdom, and when an intelligent man lives a life of enjoyment, he makes jokes." — Ahsanul Irfan

(When an intelligent man lives a life of suffering, he uses his intelligent mind to seeks wisdom, and when an intelligent man lives a life of enjoyment, he uses his intelligent mind to make jokes.)

Does it sound like an aphorism?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.