Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the cited collocations of permit in the following sentences?

The boy was permitted to sit up a few hours, but he never used the privilege profitably.

Who permitted your leaving early?

The doctor will not permit mother up until she is better.

A five-year operating permit application will be filed at the municipality.

We must to file also a construction permit application.

A clutch permits the disengagement of the coupled shafts during operation.

As far as I know at high intensity the electric field of a laser may permit field ionization to compete with the multiphoton ionization process.

The address of a storage location permits repeated reference to the same cell.

Finally she came into possession of a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

He went about his daily business as far as health permits.

There are matters that permit of no delay.

He has a permit for multiple crossings of the State Border.

A wide range of gasses and solids permit light to pass through in varying degrees.

Upon arrival in Sittwe, if time permit, take refreshment at local restaurant and transfer to Sittwe domestic airport for the flight back to Yangon

V.

J

J&K Tutoring

Wow- that's rather a lot- probably why no one has responded earlier! You don't make clear whether you're looking only for correction of grammatical errors or general usage but, since you asked for opinions, I'll throw in some comments on US English usage as well.

The boy was permitted to sit up a few hours, but he never used the privilege profitably. Okay, but one would more commonly hear 'The boy was allowed to stay up...

Who permitted your leaving early? Again, okay, but more commonly 'Who gave you permission to leave early?'

The doctor will not permit mother up until she is better. In the US, you would more often hear this as 'The doctor doesn't want mother to get up until she is better.

A five-year operating permit application will be filed at the municipality. The structure here is correct, but municipality is not really a place, so the application would be either:
A. filed with the municipality (the place is unimportant or understood) OR
B. filed at the municipality office (the actual place you did the filing)

We must to file also a construction permit application. We must also [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] file [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] a construction permit application.

A clutch permits the disengagement of the coupled shafts during operation. good

As far as I know (add comma here. Otherwise, it can read as if you only do the 'knowing' at high intensity!) at high intensity the electric field of a laser may permit field ionization to compete with the multiphoton ionization process.

The address of a storage location permits repeated reference to the same cell. Rather a fine point, but I think allows would be better here. Permission means only that- a granting of access. The address makes it convenient, but has nothing to do with permission to access the stored items. I would further recommend replacing reference with access for roughly the same reason- access is more 'physical' than reference.

Finally she came into possession of a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Fine

He went about his daily business as far as health permits. went = past tense. permits = present tense. Need to change one so they agree.

There are matters that permit of no delay. Recommend you delete of.

He has a permit for multiple crossings of the State Border. Fine

A wide range of gasses and solids permit light to pass through in varying degrees. range > will permit

Upon arrival in Sittwe, if time permits, take refreshment at a local restaurant and then transfer to Sittwe domestic airport for the flight back to Yangon

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi J&K Tutoring,

I’m so thankful for your kindness.

Thank you for your giant brain work fixing my imperfect wordings. Let’s hope that it was not a work in vain. You can rest assure that it did me a lot of good.

Thank you again for your backing.

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.