[Grammar] A man appeared on the corner ..., appeared so suddenly and silently ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
“A man appeared on the corner the cat had been watching, appeared so suddenly and silently you’d have thought he’d just popped out of the ground. The cat’s tail twitched and its eyes narrowed. Nothing like this man had ever been seen in Privet Drive. He was tall, thin and very old, judging by the silver of his hair and beard, which were both long enough to tuck into his belt. He was wearing long robes, a purple cloak which swept the ground and high-heeled, buckled boots. His blue eyes were light, bright and sparkling behind half-moon spectacles and his nose was very long and crooked, as though it had been broken at least twice. This man’s name was Albus Dumbledore.”

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/8998346-a-man-appeared-on-the-corner-the-cat-had-been
-----------

I am not sure why there are two verbs without a conjunction or something like that. I guess that it may be ungrammatical but for stylistic effect. What do you think?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good question.

A conjunction would be grammatical but not needed. It might have been written:

- A man appeared on the corner the cat had been watching. He appeared so suddenly . . . .
-
A man appeared on the corner the cat had been watching so suddenly . . . .
-
A man appeared on the corner the cat had been watching, and appeared so suddenly . . . .
-
A man appeared on the corner the cat had been watching — appeared so suddenly . . . .

It's simply a choice of style. She probably did that to emphasize the suddenness. It makes sense and is grammatical.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the "appeared" was repeated for emphasis and to modify the verb further, which should have be done with a conjunction. It is like saying: I like to do this, do that.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think think the "appeared" was repeated for emphasis and to modify the verb further, which should have be done with a conjunction. It is like saying: I like to do this, do that.
I don't see that a conjunction is needed, and the sentence is strong as written.

It's kind of like:

- She took a walk, took a very long walk.
- There was nothing he could do, nothing helpful.
- He hit the brakes, hit them so hard that my glasses flew off.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't see that a conjunction is needed, and the sentence is strong as written.

It's kind of like:

- She took a walk, took a very long walk.
- There was nothing he could do, nothing helpful.
- He hit the brakes, hit them so hard that my glasses flew off.

That is almost like a comma splice to me. What do you call that, linking a clause and a phrase with a comma?

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
That is almost like a comma splice to me. What do you call that, linking a clause and a phrase with a comma?
I look forward to Charlie Bernstein's reply. :)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I call it a writer who knows how to write writing.

It's possible that her editor suggested changing it. In the end, it's her style and her decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.