Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
'A' or 'the' which one should I use.

1- A massive attack was carried out by goons on a rally against corruption, which was organised on 30th March in Lahore, Pakistan.
2- A massive attack was carried out by goons on a/the rally that was organised on 30th March in Lahore, Pakistan, against corruption.
3- A massive attack was carried out by goons on a/the rally on 30th March in Lahore, Pakistan, against corruption.
4- Sir, I want to inform you that some people made an attack on a/the procession of a religious organisation in kolkata on 30th march.(this was the only procession that carried out on that day. Other people know that. But the person whom I want to inform he may or may not know.)
5- Sir, I want to inform you that some people made an attack on a/the procession that was organised by a religious organisation in kolkata on 30th march.

Same as any other use of the indefinite vs definite article. Is the rally something that was already mentioned, or is generally known to exist?

Perhaps:

A gang of thugs attacked a group of peaceful protesters at a rally against corruption on March 30, 2023.

Same as any other use of the indefinite vs definite article. Is the rally something that was already mentioned, or is generally known to exist?
No it's not mentioned.

Why didn't you capitalize the proper nouns 'Kolkata' and 'March' in sentences #4 and #5?

Perhaps:

They were marching peacefully when they were viciously attacked by a gang of thugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back