This massive result proved that quantum computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
“I was really surprised to learn I have been awarded the prize,” says Shor. “There is so much that others have done.” In the 1990s, Shor developed the first potentially useful quantum algorithm, which could one day enable quantum computers to speedily break large numbers down into their prime factors2. This raises the possibility of cracking encryption codes used to secure much of today’s Internet traffic, which are based on large prime numbers. “This massive result proved that quantum computers were more than just another academic curiosity,” says Nikita Gourianov, a quantum physicist at the University of Oxford.

Source: Nature

Does "this massive result" refer back to "the possibility of cracking encryption codes used to secure much of today’s Internet traffic"?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bumping threads is discouraged on the forum. When volunteers have something to say, they'll say it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The massive result was Shor's quantum algorithm.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's perfectly understandable. I wouldn't say it's informal, just slightly unusual. It's a pretty good bet that Gorianov's native language is not English. In my opinion he means that the result is very important.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The results of Shor's work were massively significant because they showed that it was feasible to break down large numbers into their prime factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.