Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Can I use "in lieu of" when a place is replaced by another one?

Is this correct?

A shopping mall will be constructed in lieu of the park which was demolished last month.

The term is better suited to legal contracts and agreements: In lieu of a cash settlement, we're willing to accept real estate.

Better: A mall will be built where the park demolished last month was.

It's not used to talk about day-to-day things or situations:

BAD: I'm having breakfast in the dining room in lieu of the kitchen.

GOOD: I'm having breakfast in the dining room instead of the kitchen.

The term is better suited to legal contracts and agreements: In lieu of a cash settlement, we're willing to accept real estate.

Better: A mall will be built where the park demolished last month was.

It's not used to talk about day-to-day things or situations:

BAD: I'm having breakfast in the dining room in lieu of the kitchen.

GOOD: I'm having breakfast in the dining room instead of the kitchen.

Does the sentence in the first post work in a formal context?

"In lieu of" is not meant to be used with physical things. It is used mainly legal contexts to talk about, say, the terms and conditions of a contract.

Is this correct?

A shopping mall will be constructed in lieu of the park which was demolished last month.

The sentence indicates that the park demolished last month was to be constructed (again) but will not; instead, a shopping mall will be.

Does the sentence in the first post work in a formal context?
No. See what the others have said above. It's definitely the wrong word choice.

Even if your example made sense (it doesn't), it's not used converationally.

We use it conversationally like this:

I worked overtime last week and my boss gave me restaurant vouchers in lieu of cash.

Also without 'of':

Rather than pay me extra for the overtime I put in, my boss gave me a day off in lieu.

It's an unlikely scenario, but this sentence can mean that a mall will be built to appease/placate those detrimentally impacted by the demolition of the park - a sort of compensation.

How do you demolish a park?

Knock the trees down. Maybe landscape any hills away.

The sentence indicates that the park demolished last month was to be constructed (again) but will not; instead, a shopping mall will be.

"X will be constructed in lieu of Y" means that, instead of Y, which will not be constructed, X will be constructed.

I've been known to use in lieu of in casual conversation. Maybe I'm not typical but so what? A great many North Americans have never used and will never use eschew. That does not invalidate the word eschew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back