Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like to have my English accent evaluated based on the attached sample of my speech.
Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would like to have my English accent evaluated based on the attached sample of my speech.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

It's unusual for us to be asked to evaluate a native speaker's accent. May I ask why you need/want this done? You didn't attach a link to the sample, by the way.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you load a recording of your speech to something like YouTube or Vocaroo, people will listen to it and comment. You haven't included a recording. Please record yourself speaking, not reading a written text aloud.

anonymous1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

It's unusual for us to be asked to evaluate a native speaker's accent. May I ask why you need/want this done? You didn't attach a link to the sample, by the way.

Here is the link to listen and comment about my accent http://vocaroo.com/i/s1e0RU4KBQJk,

[email address deleted by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Your accent is fine, though your speech seems a little slow.

anonymous1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your answer, I would like know if my accent sounds native and what part of North America it traces from.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your profile shows that you are a native speaker of American English. Why do you think your accent wouldn't sound native? Surely you know which part of the USA you're from.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks for your answer, I would like know if my accent sounds native and what part of North America it traces from.

I'll leave that to the American speakers to answer- I speak British English.

anonymous1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you did not know that I am an American native speaker, would you still be able to tell if my accent is American native or not.
Please listen to my speech sample and tell me, thanks
Here is the vocaroo link below to listen to it.

[url]http://vocaroo.com/i/s1e0RU4KBQJk[/URL]

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
To me, you sound nothing like a native speaker in this recording. Your phrasing/grammar doesn't sound entirely native either, so that might add to the impression.

anonymous1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you an Australian native, I am asking you if you find my accent American or somewhere from North America.
You also said that my ''phrasing/grammar doesn't sound entirely native '', are you referring to my speech sample or to my written English.
Either way, what do you specifically find wrong with my phrasing and grammar.

anonymous1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Academic,
The text of my speech sample is:
QUESTION TO ALL OF YOU
BASED ON THE WAY I SOUND, WOULD YOU THINK THAT I AM A NATIVE SPEAKER OF ENGLISH OR I SPEAK ENGLISH AS A FIRST LANGUAGE, YES OR NO, IF YES, WHAT PART OF THE ENGLISH SPEAKING WORD WOULD MY ACCENT IDENTIFY WITH.I am really curious to know where the grammar errors are, this is basic and straightforward English.
I am asking you to rewrite my exact same text '' corrected'' of any phrasal or grammar errors, if indeed any corrections need apply.

anonymous1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One more question for you:
Being an Australian native speaker of English, how can you say that my accent is nothing like a native American one as long as you yourself speak with a completely different accent.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, you don't sound like a native AmE speaker to me either. In the first few words, "the" sounds like "de", "speaker" sounds like "spicker" and "speak" sounds like "spick". The phrasing is just a little off in a couple of places. I agree that it sounds slow and, to me, it seems like that's because you're struggling a bit with pronunciation. If I had to guess, I would say you're either from an Asian (Oriental) country - Korea, Japan, Taiwan maybe, or just possibly from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, or somewhere in that area. I would say that English is not your native language but that you've spent much of your life in an English-speaking country, just not lost all of your accent.

We don't have to be native AmE speakers ourselves in order to have an opinion on whether you sound like one.

anonymous1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Listen carefully, the;''th'' sound clearly sounds as ''th'' and not ''de', also the e in speakers is the long ''e'' not ''i''
You are wrong, I am neither Oriental or Central European, I am an Anglo-American.
The problem is that you are NOT a native speaker of North American English and you can not evaluate accurately a North American accent.
Send me a sample of your speech, I am really curious to know what you sound like.
Your reply.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
One more question for you:
Being an Australian native speaker of English, how can you say that my accent is nothing like a native American one as long as you yourself speak with a completely different accent.
I can even tell when someone doesn't look like a woman, even though I'm a man. I'm not particularly talented in this; it's a normal ability to recognize and discriminate patterns without being similarly patterned.
(I assume you're replying to me, as the only Australian here.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Listen carefully, the;''th'' sound clearly sounds as ''th'' and not ''de', also the e in speakers is the long ''e'' not ''i''
You are wrong, I am neither Oriental or Central European, I am an Anglo-American.
The problem is that you are NOT a native speaker of North American English and you can not evaluate accurately a North American accent.
Send me a sample of your speech, I am really curious to know what you sound like.
Your reply.

You asked us to listen to your accent and give our opinion. Several of us have done so. If you wanted your accent evaluated only by native North American English speakers, you should have said that in post #1. Your responses to our attempts to answer your question have been, at the very least, ungrateful and, at worst, rude (I have had to remove one unpleasant comment).

I won't be sending a sample of my speech. I don't need anyone's opinion on my accent. Thanks for the offer though.

anonymous1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You certainly have the ability to recognize and discriminate patterns without being similarly patterned but NOT with accuracy,unless you come from the exact same pattern.
Still, you have not answered my question:Where are the grammar errors in the text of my speech sample, rewrite the full text with your ''corrections'', I am really curious to see what you will find wrong.

anonymous1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Eh Buddy,the opinion of an Oriental like yourself, Chinese or Korean, who is CURRENTLY LEARNING English as a second language does not count at all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This thread is going nowhere. Post 19 is particularly baffling. Every response to the original question was written by a native speaker so there is no one to whom that post could have been directed.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.