accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like a fairly standard (but not strong) Jamaican/Caribbean accent to me, with some American twang to some sounds.

No way! That's a northern English accent. Manchester.

Nice groove.

Last edited:
Definitely not New York or New England.

Definitely English from England. It's hard to be more precise than that with singing.

Having listened to that several times, I'd say that the accent was originally Welsh but it now has an northern English veneer with touches of Birmingham and Nottingham.

I must look up his biography to see if I'm right. ;-)

I'm not sure we were watching the same video. I got a woman singing! She sounded probably British Caribbean but used a fairly standard American twang at the end of a few words. When I checked her provenance, I think it said her mother was Jamaican and her father unspecific African-American (I can't quite remember but it was something like that!)

:oops: OK, I totally missed it! I'm so swamped with work today that I probably shouldn't be spending time on the forum at all and it seems I'm not concentrating! I think what I Googled yesterday was "Is YesKing Jamaican?" because that was my best guess after watching the video.

This is what I found.

This is what I found.
It's not Diana King, it's Mel Uye-Parker. Just found her on Facebook and I'm going to ask her now what accent she talks because I really like it. Maybe I can also book her for a street party concert.

Yes King is producer Rhys Adams.

The vocalist on this track is Mel Uye-Parker, who is definitely from the Manchester area. She has a very obvious Mancunian accent. It can be heard especially clearly when she says:

drunken afternoons
You lost the tune last night

sounds pretty much like a north england accent to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back