Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I believe that there is a syntax error in this sentence, namely, it should have been "that/which is known as..." with the repetition of "across" omitted. Would you please confirm is I am correct?

This reality has pushed the NATO frontlines significantly further to the East across the wider section of the North European Plain [corrected] and a separated Russian territory between the mainland and the Kaliningrad exclave here, across what's known as the Suvalky Gap.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't see the problem. However, it should be "the North European Plain". (That video goes on forever.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"across what's known as" is grammatically correct and natural. It's a common construction - "what's known as" is the relevant part. It can be preceded by many other words.

He played a major role in what's known as the most daring heist in history.
She developed her skills through what's known as The Magic Bullet method.
They both have what's known as a kiss curl.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
There is no error. The reason for repeating "across" is that the sentence is long and the speaker wants to refocus the listener's attention back on the point he's making.
Also note that he says "the wider section of the North European Plain" + "a separated Russian territory between the mainland and the Kaliningrad exclave" = "the Suvalky Gap".
However, your change could imply: "the Kaliningrad exclave" = "the Suvalky Gap"

Status
Not open for further replies.