Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If someone says he is a school admin, would you think that his job is doing some clerk jobs?
I found "admin"/"clerk" have very similar job duties in many job advertisements.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If someone says he is a school admin, would you think that his job is doing some of the same work as a clerk? jobs?
I found "admin" and "clerk" have very similar job duties in many job advertisements.
There's probably a lot of crossover but they might not do the same job. For example, when I first joined the civil service, my job title was Admin Officer. I had two subordinates (I hate that word but it was used at the time) - one Admin Assistant and a Clerk. We had different levels of responsibility but we all did what I would call admin tasks.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If someone says he is a school admin, would you think that his job is doing some clerk jobs?

How do we know what you think 'clerk jobs' are?

If he says he's a 'school admin', he means he works in an office in the school, doing administration work.

I'd say that it's not really correct to describe oneself as an 'admin' since 'admin' is the work and not the job. You can do admin but you can't be an admin.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Does his job involve doing some of the same work as a clerk?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm an admin. (Not here.)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, we have "admins" in my company as well. What would have been called a "secretary" once, before the idea got around that "secretary" was offensive. "Administrative assistant" in full.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In terms of forums, our admins are Red5 and Tdol. It's short for "administrator". I think the term might now be "Editor" on here.