Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I learnt that Adverbs never qualify Nouns or Pronouns. This is the work of Adjectives. I have mentioned a sentence below:

1) I am, yours sincerely, Vijoy.

In this sentence, the 'sincerity' implied in yours sincerely refers to the speaker, not to the person addressed. Here, sincerely doesn't modify the adjective element in yours but qualifies am. Could you please explain in detail?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I learnt that adverbs never qualify nouns or pronouns. This is the work of adjectives. I have found the sentence below:

In this sentence, the 'sincerely' implied in yours sincerely refers to the speaker, not to the person addressed. Here, sincerely doesn't modify the adjective element in yours but qualifies am. Could you please explain in detail?
I can't explain in detail, so I'll explain in brief:

It's an odd way to end a letter. "Yours sincerely" and "Sincerely yours" are more common, so let's talk about those.

Sincerely tells how I am yours: I sincerely am yours.

We also often say, "Yours truly." It works the same way. The shorter ending "Sincerely" is also common and means the same thing.

PS: Only capitalize proper nouns and the first letter of each sentence.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use:

I am sincerely yours,

Vijay

However, it is more natural to me to say simply Yours sincerely. Americans seem to prefer, though this may be my impression, Sincerely yours.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I learnt that Adverbs never qualify Nouns or Pronouns. This is the work of Adjectives. I have mentioned a sentence below:

In this sentence, the 'sincerity' implied in yours sincerely refers to the speaker, not to the person addressed. Here, sincerely doesn't modify the adjective element in yours but qualifies am. Could you please explain in detail?

'Yours' is a possessive pronoun, not an adjective (there is no 's' on the 2nd person possessive adjective). Since adverbs can only modify verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs, the only possible word it can modify in this sentence is the verb 'am'. Every other word in this sentence is a noun or pronoun. The sincerity doesn't refer to the person, but to the state of being (am) - to what degree or extent I am yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.