Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
After leaving work

After leaving my office with my familiar motorbike. I received a phone call. It was Tom, my friend. He was a classmate in high school. He made an appointment with me for drinking some beer. But before I was there, I needed to buy somethings for my mom. I went to the market and bought a barrel of milk, one kilogram sugar. Then I found and bought some eggs. I wondered what my mom is doing with things that I had just bought.
Then I reached my friend for some beer. We talked the period of time when we are in high school happily.

Please correct my mistakes.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
After leaving work

After leaving my office [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] on my [STRIKE]familiar [/STRIKE]motorbike, I received a phone call from my friend, [STRIKE]It was [/STRIKE]Tom[STRIKE] my friend[/STRIKE]. He was[STRIKE] a [/STRIKE] my classmate in high school. He made an appointment with me for[STRIKE] drinking [/STRIKE]some beer. But before I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] got there, I needed to buy something[STRIKE]s [/STRIKE]for my mom. I went to the market and bought a [STRIKE]barrel[/STRIKE] carton of milk and one kilogram of sugar. Then I found and bought some eggs. I wondered what my mom[STRIKE] is[/STRIKE] would be doing with the things that I had just bought.

Then I [STRIKE]reached[/STRIKE] met my friend for some beer. We talked [STRIKE]the period of time[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]when we are in[/STRIKE] fondly about our high school days [STRIKE]happily[/STRIKE].

Please correct my mistakes.

See above.

Last edited by a moderator:

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
See above.
This is my rewrite.
After leaving my office on my motorbike, I received a phone call from my friend, Tom. He was my classmate in high school. He made an appointment with me for some beer. But before I got/arrive there, I needed to buy something for my mom. I went to the market and bought a carton of milk, one kilogram sugar. Then I found and bought some eggs. I wondered what my mom would do with things that I had just bought.
Then I met my friend for some beer. We talked fondly about our high school days.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is my rewrite.

After leaving my office on my motorbike, I received a phone call from my friend, Tom. He was my classmate in high school. He made an appointment to get together with me for some beer. But before I got/arrive there, I needed to buy something for my mom. I went to the market and bought a carton of milk, one kilogram sugar. Then I found and bought some eggs. I wondered what my mom would do with things that I had just bought.
Then I met my friend for some beer. We talked fondly about our high school days.

Two things. One, I would say:

He was a classmate from high school. (I wouldn't use my classmate unless I only had one classmate.)

Two, say:

before I got there

Also:

I would think it would be more practical to buy groceries after leaving the pub/bar.

We don't "find" eggs. We always know exactly where to go to get them.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
He was a classmate from high school. (I wouldn't use my classmate unless I only had one classmate.)
So if it is you, you will use that word to replace “classmate”

We don't "find" eggs. We always know exactly where to go to get them.
Actually, I hardly go to the market to buy something for my mom, so I can’t know exactly where I get them.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Does "my classmate/friend" mean the person was one's only classmate/friend?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, I hardly ever go to the market to buy something for my mom, so I don't know where to get them. (Amended.)

It hard for me to imagine that there are people who don't know where the eggs are in a supermarket/grocery store. (Right next to the dairy section.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.