Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
After many years she ......(could-must-should-can)forget the accident.
The answer is must.
what do you think?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
After many years, she ________________ (could/must/should/can) forget the accident.

The answer is must.

What do you think?

Where did you find this (fairly awful) question - source and author? PLEASE don't tell me it's another example from some random Facebook group!!!

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Where did you find this (fairly awful) question - source and author? PLEASE don't tell me it's another example from some random Facebook group!!!

182223610_933365900810987_7294292493057147284_n.jpgIt is an Egyptian school exam paper.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please remember to tell us the source in post #1 every time. It's a dreadful question. I can make an argument for all four options.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's getting tedious having to ask (or listen to other members ask) for the sources of these generally poor test questions.

Why are you doing these tests, abo.omar? If you're not a high school student, why don't you finally get some decent tests to practise with? They're not that hard to find. Don't use ones from Facebook and don't use these Egyptian school exam ones.

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It's getting tedious having to ask (or listen to other members ask) for the sources of these generally poor test questions.

Why are you doing these tests, abo.omar? If you're not a high school student, why don't you finally get some decent tests to practise with? They're not that hard to find. Don't use ones from Facebook and don't use these Egyptian school exam ones.

You are right. I depend on books written by native speakers and from known universities, Cambridge, oxford and so on.
But I live in Egypt and read many of our Egyptian teachers sentences and so on.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You are right. I depend on books written by native speakers and from well-known universities - Cambridge, Oxford and so on.
But I live in Egypt and read many of our Egyptian teachers' sentences and [STRIKE]so on[/STRIKE] other texts.

In that case, I suggest you stop looking at any of those exam papers if they weren't set by native speakers.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As an aside, we've had a similar issue with a Korean student, Keannu, if memory serves me. He frequently posted questions about passages written by native speakers that were in rather poor English. When I asked why he couldn't use better sources he replied that his material was from textbooks prescribed by his government authorities.

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
In that case, I suggest you stop looking at any of those exam papers if they weren't set by native speakers.
That is too easy. But I am asked to answer such things and the students ,my relatives, insist that I should give them a hand.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That is too easy, but I am asked to answer such things and the students, my relatives, insist that I [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] give them a hand.

Why don't you suggest to your relatives that they join the forum?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is too easy.

How can something be too easy?

But I am asked to answer such things and the students ,my relatives, insist that I help them.

Punctuation!

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Why don't you suggest to your relatives that they join the forum?
I really did and they follow it. If the join, they will ask the same questions.:lol:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [strike]really[/strike] did and they follow it. If they join, they will ask the same questions.:lol:

I can't speak for other members, but I would prefer that we deal directly with the people who are trying to learn, rather than with you as an intermediary. If they get help with their English direct from us, your time will be freed up to work on your own English, and you won't have to use these unreliable sources.

I don't know what you mean by the blue underlined part above.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't speak for other members, but I would prefer that we deal directly with the people who are trying to learn, rather than with you as an intermediary.

I agree completely.

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I can't speak for other members, but I would prefer that we deal directly with the people who are trying to learn, rather than with you as an intermediary. If they get help with their English direct from us, your time will be freed up to work on your own English, and you won't have to use these unreliable sources.

I don't know what you mean by the blue underlined part above.

I mean they sit beside me following me asking here.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I mean they sit beside me while I ask here.
It sounds like a healthy communal approach. But it doesn't solve the problem of using bad texts.

We have an expression. We call it washing garbage. If something is garbage to begin with, there's nothing you can do to make it smell good.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I haven't heard of "washing garbage." Anyway I prefer "putting lipstick on a pig." It's so much more colourful. :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I mean they sit beside me following me asking here.
Here's a suggestion: gather round the computer with your friends and relations. click on 'Testing' at the top of this page and then 'Grammar Quizzes', and work through lots of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.