Student or Learner
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What means this sentence?

The hijacker with a knife and a hand grenade forced the pilot of the 737 to fly to Madrid, where six elderly passengers were allowed off.

What "were allowed off" means?

They were permitted to leave the plane.

You're going to have to learn the correct use of 'do' + main verb sometime.

What means xxx? is so common that I think it may eventually become accepted- the influence of learners on the language.

What means xxx? is so common that I think it may eventually become accepted- the influence of learners on the language.
What means "Over my dead body"? ;-)

Unfortunately, "What means X?" has a different meaning from "What does X mean?". But you are right, many things may eventually be accepted. In the meantime, I think teaching proper English is the best way to go. My replies here assume that that's what most learners want.

Unfortunately, "What means X?" has a different meaning from "What does X mean?". But you are right, many things may eventually be accepted. In the meantime, I think teaching proper English is the best way to go. My replies here assume that that's what most learners want.

Agreed- I was just offering an aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back