Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Hello everyone!

I am foreigner. I am from Serbia. I'd like to ask how is my american pronounciation... I attach my audio here (the sentence I've recorded is from one movie). I hope it's not so bad...

Thank you! :)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello @Boqui and welcome to the forum. Please note that I have moved your thread to the Pronunciation and Phonetics section.

Your accent is pretty good. I had no trouble understanding what you said, although the initial "If" is very faint. It should be enunciated more loudly.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Perhaps it's my age (76) , but I found that very hard to understand. My wife and I listened to it five times before we got the complete message.

Boqui

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Thank you for responding!
I have to improve it, that"s sure.

What is the main problem in speaking I have to work on?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, if you're from Serbia and you're in Serbia you can't really be a foreigner. Is there any particular reason you want to learn how to talk like an American?

Boqui

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Well, if you're from Serbia and you're in Serbia you can't really be a foreigner. Is there any particular reason you want to learn how to talk like an American?
Actually yes. I am planning to move to USA because of acting (to give a try).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone!

I am a foreigner. (You're only a foreigner to people who aren't from Serbia!) I am from Serbia. I'd like to ask how is you think my American pronunciation is. I have attached my an audio file below. here (The sentence I've recorded is from one a movie). I hope it's not so very bad.

Thank you! Don't thank us in advance. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button, found by hovering your cursor over the "Like" button.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Boqui I listened to the recording three or four times, and the only thing I could make out was "anybody else".
😐

acurioustutor

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
UK
Zdravo! I'm sorry to say but I had a bit of trouble understanding the first half of your sentence ("If you were married to anyone else"). I had to listen to it several times.

The tip for enunciating more is important! Most people like to speak quickly, but speaking slowly and clearly can really help (actors must all learn how to enunciate actually, I just created a lesson about this).

Here are the sounds I recommend you practice:

1) the "short i" (like in "if" and "kill").
2) the "short a" (like in "anyone").
3) the ir/er/ur sound / r-controlled vowels (like in "married", "were"). For the UK or US accent, the "R" sound is most important to do correctly.

It sounded like there was a little bit of tension in your mouth as well. The US accent is very open and relaxed (our mouths open quite a bit, especially for vowels like the "short a" and "short o"). So, learning how to relax your jaw/mouth a bit might help.

I'm actually making pronunciation videos - I came here to this website to ask for feedback on them! My videos are .....not very good :( (But, I'm slowly getting better) Please, you don't have to use my (terrible) videos, but here is my playlist for the "short a": [link removed by mod]

And I would recommend starting here for the "short i" as my earlier videos aren't good at all: [link removed by mod]

If you have any questions about learning pronunciation, please feel free to ask! And btw, my husband and I have such great memories of Belgrade! Everyone was SO friendly and helpful, if anyone saw us glancing at a map, multiple people would line up to see if they could offer us directions or help! (even if they didn't speak much English!!) I could not believe how helpful everyone was :O (Also the fruit was extremely delicious, the fruit in America is sad by comparison) I actually have several stories about the friendly people, but suffice to say, we would love to visit again!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@acurioustutor - Please note that the links have been removed from your previous post. It's nothing personal but we have to be careful about new users posting links due to the amount of spam that people try to hit us with, as well as some unscrupulous people trying to push their own commercial enterprises. We are not suggesting that you are doing anything of the sort and we are very happy for you to continue to take part in threads. Once you have made twenty public posts, we'll be happy for you to include links to your own audio/video clips, provided they are free to access and don't contain other links to paid content.

Status
Not open for further replies.