Among the people I know my father quit working latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
1) Among the people I know my father quit working latest.
2) Among the people I know my father quit working latest in life.

3) Among the people I know my father kept working latest in life.
4) Among the people I know my father kept working latest in life.

5) Among the people I know my father had the highest age when he quit working.
6) Among the people I know my father was the oldest when he quit working.

I think the idea itself is simple but it seems hard to express, or maybe I have a block or....
He didn't necessarily work longer than all the others, but nobody quit at an age older than the age he had when he quit.
I think '5' and '6' are grammatical, but they mean something else, which is weird.

My father retired at a later age than anyone else I know.

All your sentences are grammatical but most of them aren't what would normally be said. I think your sentences 1 and 6 are better than the others.

"Among the people I know" is fairly unnatural regardless of what comes after it. I'd expect "Of everyone I know, ...". Note that both your original version and mine require a comma after "know".

Thank you both very much,

Barque's sentence is a lot more elegant than mine.

7) Of everyone I know my father quit working latest.

(I modified my '1' according to emsr2d2's recommendation)

Could '7' even have the meaning I have in mind? Or does it mean that everyone I know quit working earlier than my father, but not necessarily at a younger age?

Or does it mean that everyone I know quit working earlier than my father, but not necessarily at a younger age?
Technically, yes, that's what it means. But I think people would understand what you meant--that no one else, on their last working day, was as old as your father was on his.

Barque's use of "retire" is much more natural. (Didn't @emsr2d2 point that out?)

Would it be wrong to use 'the' before 'latest' in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back