Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"I have in my hand a heavy book that jutfrank gave me yesterday", I am still not defining precisely which heavy book jutfrank gave me. It is still a conceptual member of a set of conceptual things.

This is exactly the place I'm stuck in! If you told me, "I have in my hand a heavy book that jutfrank gave me yesterday," I would understand that jutfrank had given you several books, and while you definitely understood which of them you were talking about, you wouldn't expect that I did. I would be sure that was the only reason for you to use "a".

On the other hand, If you used "the book," while I weren't aware of it, I would be sure that you meant that jatfrank had given you only one book. But if it weren't the case, I would be very confused and asked myself, "Why did Piscean use "the" if he was aware that I didn't now what book he's talking about?"

It's the same as if we were sitting at a table with several books on it, and you asked me to give you the book. I would immediately ask you in surprise, "Which one?"

Anyway, I agree with jutfrank that I should read some literature. I'll read the book you've found, jutfrank. I'm only afraid it will take months.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's the same as if we were sitting at a table with several books on it, and you asked me to give you the book. I would immediately ask you in surprise, "Which one?"

As long as you hadn't been discussing a particular book.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'll add just one point, which I think may be useful, to post #24 above.

I have in my hand the heavy book that jutfrank gave me yesterday.

Even the use of a definite NP here does not allow the listener to conclude that jutfrank gave me only one book (although that is very likely the case). It could be that the purpose of reference here is to distinguish the book from other non-book items rather than from other books. In other words, the point of using the could be just to point out this particular book, regardless of how many other books, if any, jutfrank gave me.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
As long as you hadn't been discussing a particular book.

That's what I'm talking about (if I got your point correctly, of course). I would say, "I have in my hand the book N gave me" only in two cases: 1) the listener was already aware of that book due to its previous mentioning, 2) there was only one book.

I have in my hand the heavy book that jutfrank gave me yesterday.
Even the use of a definite NP here does not allow the listener to conclude that jutfrank gave me only one book...

This sentence certainly allows for several books or things, and "the" helps distinguish "heavy book" from the rest. But I personally would say this only if the listener either were already aware of that particular book, or there were only one heavy book. When I use a definite NP I want to make sure it doesn't confuse the listener. If someone told me this phrase out of these two contexts, I would certainly be lost. I'm sorry for my telling-instead-of-asking again, jutfrank. I just want you to understand my logic and confusion.

Last edited:

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You would do better to try to understand what jutfrank has done his very best to explain.

It seems I'll be able to do this only after reading and understanding some literature.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I would like to conduct a thought experiment:

Suppose we all meet together in some place and I tell you: a) "I've brought the history book with me that N gave me yesterday," b) "I've brought a history book with me that N gave me yesterday." In both cases the book is mentioned for the first time. I have two questions:

1) Does it sound natural?
2) What unspoken/implied information do you get from this? It may be just a guess.

Last edited:

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You would do better to try to understand what jutfrank has done his very best to explain.

I hope your answers will help me understand this. There are different paths to reach the same goal.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Suppose we all meet together in some place and I tell you: a) "I've brought the history book with me that N gave me yesterday," b) "I've brought a history book with me that N gave me yesterday." In both cases the book is mentioned for the first time. I have two questions:

1) Does it sound natural?
2) What unspoken/implied information do you get from this? It may be just a guess.
Both are natural. If you said sentence A, you might be thinking that your interlocutor was aware that N had given you the book. You'd be thinking specifically of that book. You might say sentence B if you'd been considering a number of books and that particular book was the one you decided to bring.

There's little difference in meaning in this case.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you, GS! I'm not going to ask any other questions in this thread. I just want to collect your replies so that I can think about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.