An 'enohp' is a 'phone', only the other way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
a. Excuse me. Could you tell me where the enohp is?
b. What's an 'enohp'?
a. An 'enohp' is a 'phone', only the other way round.

It's rough translation of mine of a dialogue from a classical Soviet film. I'm just curious, how the underlined part would sound in English. Would it be natural/comprehensible to the native speakers here? If not, what would you expect to see/hear there? Maybe 'from back to front'?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would not be able to guess the meaning of 'the other way round". Use "spelled backwards" (or "spelt backwards" in BrE).

Last edited:

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
"The other way around" is understandable to me here. But yes, "spelled backward" is even more explicit/clear.

That said, this dialog sounds pretty dumb/pointless when translated into English. Maybe it sounds better in Russian? E.g., perhaps the reversed version of "phone" sounds more like a real word in Russian than it does in English?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A village just a few miles away from mine is called Enon. It's a rather bland, suburban place. Some people feel it's fitting that Enon spelled backwards is none.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
That said, this dialog sounds pretty dumb/pointless when translated into English. Maybe it sounds better in Russian? E.g., perhaps the reversed version of "phone" sounds more like a real word in Russian than it does in English?

It does. Not exactly like a real word like in GS's example. Rather like a real word that the interlocutor doesn't know because it doesn't exist. This strange word was used to drag women (complete strangers) into a conversation.

But it doesn't really matter to me whether it sounds dumb in English or not. I'm not translating the film into English. :) I was just curious to know how to convey the idea correctly.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It sounds weird.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Does it? Maybe because I was replying in a foreign language around midnight (when my brain was almost sleeping) I wasn't trying hard enough to explain the situation. Here's the film I took the dialogue from. At around 25:30 or so two guys are trying to pick up girls with this word just to start conversation. I see nothing weird about it.

It should be noted, however, that by the 'phone' they meant 'telephone booth'. In Russian, we would simply say 'phone' meaning it.

I don't know if the quality of the translation (there are English subtitles) is satisfactory, but you might want to give the film a try and watch it. It's a light comedy with nothing weird. The only thing that can make the impression of the situation or the film on the whole being weird is poor translation. But I can't judge it, unfortunately.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A village just a few miles away from mine is called Enon. It's a rather bland, suburban place. Some people feel it's fitting that Enon spelled backwards is none.
It must be near Erewhon!

A town near me is called Freeport. It's expensive, and ships stopped going generations years ago. (Cruise ships stop in the better-named Portland and bus people to Freeport to shop.)

Status
Not open for further replies.