Analyze a literacy event

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonj

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have to analyse a literacy event on a piece of writing.I'm wondering if I take up a novel which I have read before or I should find something different and short.Kindly suggest me...
This is what my question is-

Identify a meaningful encounter with writing as a writer, reader, both, or an observer. Explain how you or the people involved made sense of this encounter and the role that writing played in your/their interactions.

My teacher said that I have to analyse a literacy event that has happened in my own life.I wondering what and how to write it.Can you give me some examples so that I can figure out exactly, what I have to write.
I'm thinking about writing about my life's experiences,the ups and downs I have faced in my life.Can that be a literacy event?How I handled the problems and how I broke down sometimes...

Directions:

1. Select a particular encounter with writing in which you were directly involved or that you observed. Look for encounters with writing that reveal powerful feelings or strong responses on the part of the people involved. Look for misunderstandings, conflicts, resolutions, or alliances in which writing plays a key role. Look for instances of writing that had an effect on people’s sense of themselves as individuals or as part of a group.

2. Analyze the literacy event. Here are some questions to consider:
• Describe what happened: What is the social context of the encounter with writing? Who was involved? What did they do?
• What type of writing did the encounter center on? What were the specific features of the writing? What was its purpose?
• How did the participants make sense of the literacy event? Did they share the same perspective or not? How would you account for these differences or similarities?
• What were the relationships among the participants? What role did writing play in their interactions? What were the results or consequences of these interactions?

3. Write an analysis of the literacy event. You will need to describe what happened, how the participants made sense of the literacy event, and how this particular encounter with writing shaped their interactions.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems to me you need to find an event that involves a writer, not a book. It's an interesting assignment - as if we were bumping into published writers all the time. Maybe you could do it with someone who blogs or even someone who writes a journal.

goonj

Member Type
Student or Learner
My teacher said that I have to analyse a literacy event that has happened in my own life.I wondering what and how to write it.Can you give me some examples so that I can figure out exactly, what I have to write.
I'm thinking about writing about my life's experiences,the ups and downs I have faced in my life.Can that be a literacy event?How I handled the problems and how I broke down sometimes...

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A "literary event" -- in your own post: a meaningful encounter with writing as a writer, reader, both, or an observer

It has to be about WRITING, not your life in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.