And through His creative inspiration, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatkok09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
And through His creative inspiration, this living expression (Jesus) made all things.

The antecedent of His is the Living Expression. Creative inspiration refers to creative thoughts.
Through is used for agency or by means of.

While with means using an instrument or tool.

So shouldn't the author have said.

And with His creative inspiration, this living expression (Jesus) made all things.

Or is there a nuance in meaning with through?

To me it sounds like
Creative inspiration isn't actually an instrument of creation but an agent as a result of which all things came into being.

Idk pls help me I'm confused

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"And through His creative inspiration, this living expression (Jesus) made all things."
(Source required here)

The antecedent of "His" is "the Living Expression". What do you mean?

"Creative inspiration" refers to creative thoughts. "Through" is used for agency or by means of no full stop here while "with" means using an instrument or tool.

So shouldn't the author have said no full stop here "And with His creative inspiration, this living expression (Jesus) made all things" or is there a nuance in meaning if he used with "through"?

To me, it sounds like "Creative inspiration isn't actually an instrument of creation but an agent as a result of which all things came into being".

Idk I don't know. pls Please help me. I'm confused.
Please note my multiple corrections to your text, punctuation and layout above. Before we go any further, please provide the source (title and author).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's from the Bible (the book of John, I think).

Would I change anything? No, the writer said exactly what he meant to say.

The writer of that verse knew the Old Testament thoroughly. He was saying that Jesus was a spirit being before he became human.

thatkok09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It's from the Bible (the book of John, I think).

Would I change anything? No, the writer said exactly what he meant to say.

The writer of that verse knew the Old Testament thoroughly. He was saying that Jesus was a spirit being before he became human.
I know that. I'm not arguing that John didn't know what he was writing. I have a problem with this particular translation alone. Because every other translation says through Jesus all things were created while this one says Jesus created all things through His creative inspiration. The creative inspiration isn't an agent of creation. There's nothing even close to that mentioned in the OT. So I'd argue the translator of this paraphrase should've used "With". Then again it's a paraphrase so it has all sorts of wacky things

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd argue the translator of this paraphrase should've used "With".
The translators' philosophy is here. I imagine they knew what they were attempting to do when they translated the words you quoted.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The ending doxology of the Catholic Eucharistic Prayer covers all the bases:

Per ipsum, et cum ipso, et in ipso, est tibi Deo Patri omnipotenti in unitate Spiritus Sancti, omnis honor et gloria per omnia saecula saeculorum. Amen

Through him, with him, in him, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honor is yours almighty Father, forever and ever Amen

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@thatkok09 I think we have different interpretations of "creative inspiration".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is this a question about language or about theology? If you don't like this translation, you don't have to read it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, what does it mean to you?
Understand the way the word "inspiration" is used in the Bible. Jesus as a spiritual being had the ability to create things. That was his his creative inspiration.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
There is a fairly interesting discussion here ('What does John 1:3 mean by "through Logos everything is made"?').

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Here is one of the good answers from that discussion: "Thayer explains that when "δι" ("through") is used in the genitive it can describe "the Means or Instrument by which anything is effected," and is used specifically of "one who is the author of the action as well as its instrument, or of the efficient cause". Liddel & Scott support this, stating that the primary usage of "dia" in the genitive when used causally is "of the agent" of the action." (by P. TJ.)

Last edited:

thatkok09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Understand the way the word "inspiration" is used in the Bible. Jesus as a spiritual being had the ability to create things. That was his his creative inspiration.
But my question stands. If Creative Inspiration is Jesus' ability to create things .
Why is it "through (not with) His creative inspiration, He made all things." It should be With.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But my question stands. If Creative Inspiration is Jesus' ability to create things .
Why is it "through (not with) His creative inspiration, He made all things." It should be With.
Two things. One, I am not going to second guess the translators of the Bible. Two, it's fine as is and doesn't need to be changed.

thatkok09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Two things. One, I am not going to second guess the translators of the Bible. Two, it's fine as is and doesn't need to be changed.
But what's the nuance in meaning?

I think with would imply that Jesus is the only member of Trinity responsible for creation.

While through implies that all the members of Trinity were equally involved in creation and using this creative inspiration.

thatkok09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I seem to have answered my own question.

Last edited by a moderator:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think 'with' would imply that Jesus is the only member of [the] Trinity responsible for creation. While 'through' implies that all the members of [the] Trinity were equally involved in creation and using this creative inspiration.
This seems to make sense.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You do. ;)