Are you implying that the native speakers are the only ones using Google?

kttlt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm really confused about some particularities of the usage of articles, more specifically - when can they be omitted. Here are some examples, loosely based on sentences I've written in the past. Please tell me if the bolded articles could or should be omitted.

1) "Are you implying that the native speakers are the only ones using Google?"
2) "You've no idea what you're talking about. Gosh, such a display of ignorance!"
3) "I don't know how to get there, I guess I'll ask the natives to show me."

I don't have any exact reasons why I believe the articles might be unnecessary in these examples, but intuitively I feel like there may be some.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm really confused about some particularities of the usage of some articles, more specifically, when can they be omitted. Here are some examples, loosely based on sentences I've written in the past. Please tell me if the bolded articles could or should be omitted.

1) "Are you implying that the native speakers are the only ones using Google?"
2) "You've no idea what you're talking about. Gosh, such a display of ignorance!"
3) "I don't know how to get there, I guess I'll ask the natives to show me."

I don't have any exact specific reasons why I believe the articles might be unnecessary in these examples, but intuitively I feel like there may be some.
1) "The" is wrong. The sentence seems to be talking about all native speakers so no article is necessary. However, if the person is talking about specific native speakers as opposed to specific non-native speakers, it would be necessary. More context would dictate whether it's needed.
2) There are many possible displays of ignorance and this is just one of them so the indefinite article is required.
3) It's talking about the specific natives of some unspecified location so the definite article is required. Note that "locals" would be more natural than "natives".

kttlt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
@emsr2d2 Why doesn't "sentences" in "based on sentences I've written in the past" require "the"? I didn't think twice about it, but now it seems to me like I should've used an article there. I was referring to specific sentences on which my examples were based.

Could you comment on your corrections, please, so I can better understand what exactly is wrong? I used "exact" in post #1 because I'd already used "specifically" in the text and wanted to use a synonymous word, does it not fit the context? Would "precise" be acceptable there?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you said "loosely based on the sentences I've written in the past", it would mean you based them on all the sentences you've ever written. You mean "some sentences" but "some" can be omitted.

"Precise" doesn't collocate with reasons. You either have reasons or you don't. They don't need to be graded.

It's late here and I'm not sure I have any other comments to make. Maybe someone else can elaborate on the reasons. My suggestion would be that you concentrate on understanding what you read and take note of when articles are/aren't used when you're reading well-written English texts.