Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hello,

I am writing an essay on Pros & Cons of Living in a House/ Flat. I am mentioning facts like living in a house is more demanding in terms of its maintenance, more expensive, while on the other hand it can provide you a garden with flowers, grass, a piece of land or simply an extra space... I am going on with the following sentence:
"Flat is good for young couples, but house is perfect for young families."
My question is: Is it OK to wtŕite this sencence without articles or/ and if not, which article should be used before "Flat" and "house"?

Thank you so much!

Hi, Katmig!

You need articles.

In your example, it's a gray area. I'd use a, but some people might like the better.

"A" for me. No particular house/flat.

I see. And imagine the next sentence is "A flat is usually built according to somebody else's plans (while you can plan your house yourself)." = the next point on the list of differences. Is "a (flat)" also appropriate here? Usually when you mention something second time, you put "the" before the noun - so I am not sure...

Thanks in advance
yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. And imagine the next sentence is "A flat is usually built according to somebody else's plans (while you can plan your house yourself)." = the next point on the list of differences. Is "a (flat)" also appropriate here? Usually when you mention something second time, you put "the" before the noun - so I am not sure...

Thanks in advance
yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7
Again, I'd use A.

Houses are usually built using someone else's plans, too. You might mean furnished or decorated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, I'd use A.

Houses are usually built using someone else's plans, too. You might mean furnished or decorated.

Or maybe "designed"? You usually have something to say to the number of rooms, their layout > architects try to meet your requirements...
(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back