Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
is ''as..as'' structure always considered to be comparison?

Go as far as you can see me. Come as close as you want// In these examples, What grammar rule does the structure take over?

As far as I'm concerned.// Though ''as..as'' is a conjunction here, can it be considered also comparison?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
is ''as..as'' structure always considered to be comparison?

Go as far as you can see me. This one doesn't quite work. We'd say something like "Go as far as you can without losing sight of me."

Come as close as you want. This one is good.

In these examples, What grammar rule applies?

As far as I'm concerned. This one is good.

Though ''as..as'' is a conjunction here, can it be considered also comparison?
It's a comparison. It's hard to imagine using it as a conjunction. We usually use or, but, and and for conjunctions.

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Would the following sentence work?

You could go as far as a punch to the stomach would be tickle to you. Let's say someone is working out hard to be stronger and the other person watching wants to encourage him.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You could go as far as a punch to the stomach would be tickle to you.

I have no idea what that sentence means. "would be tickle to you" isn't grammatical.

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I have no idea what that sentence means. "would be tickle to you" isn't grammatical.
Why is that part not grammatical? To my knowledge, The second ''as'' can modify clauses or nouns.

If I were to change it to the following examples, would it work?
you could go as far as a punch to the stomach feels like a tickling.
you can improve your muscles as far as a punch to the stomach feels like a tickling.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean "You could make your abs (abdominals) so hard that a punch would feel like a tickle"?

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Yes but with as..as construction. I don't understand, they nearly mean same to me.

Original ''I love you like a fat kid loves cake''.

I love you as much as a fat kid loves cake. Doesn't this one work too?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would the following sentence work?

You could go as far as a punch to the stomach would be tickle to you.

Yes but with as..as construction. I don't understand, they nearly mean same to me.

Original ''I love you like a fat kid loves cake''.

I love you as much as a fat kid loves cake. Doesn't this one work too?
The fat kid sentence works. The one about a punch in the gut is missing an article where I've marked it. Even with the article added, it's a non sequitur. Do you mean You could go so far that a punch in the gut feels like nothing more than a tickle?

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thanks
Yes, same as emsr2d2's and yours.

My last attempt at making examples.

your pain tolerance level only can go as far as it will be immune to damages made by physical means not by that of chemical. It is enough for me for you to put a check mark if it makes sense and grammatically correct, if not, x.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My last attempt at making examples.

your pain tolerance level only can go as far as it will be immune to damages made by physical means not by that of chemical. It is enough for me for you to put a check mark if it makes sense and grammatically correct, if not, x.
In case Rover's cryptic reply wasn't clear: no, you cannot write that. Try writing a sentence with as far as that's no more than fifteen words long.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I guess the only time the construction ''go as far as'' can be used with a clause is when it is used with movement verbs, except for those with ''so ... as to''.
This was originally a comment source. I tried to change it a bit for it includes some slang words.
I'm still in doubt that every ''as..as'' being concjunction is also a comparison.
According to cambridge, ''as long as'' is a conjunction. source.

An example by cambridge. ''I'll remember that film as long as I live''. From what I can understand, it isn't comparing ''living'' to ''film''.(I know what the sentence means. I am just trying to examine it in terms of grammar).
I suppose when as far as is used with go, it quits being a conjunction or at first It wasn't a conjunction. I thought it like it was a kind of conjunction stating limit, as in '' you can go so far as to tell he is useless, or you can say it to someone to the point that it involves you.''.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There was nothing cryptic about Rover's reply. He did exactly what capcap23 asked him to.

I guess I got so tangled up in the first sentence that I never made it to the second.

vpkannan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As far as I'm concerned.// Though ''as..as'' is a conjunction here, can it be considered also comparison?

As far as I know, 'as far as' is a comparative expression used as a conjunction. For example, you would agree that 'as far as' is a comparative expression in 'You know as far as I know.'

Some fixed expressions are used as parts of speech, e.g., 'in addition to' as preposition; so is 'as far as' used as a conjunction.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is ''as..as'' structure always considered to be comparison?

No, not at all.

But I'm interpreting your question to be asking whether it's considered to be a comparison by the speaker.

If you say, for instance, As far as I know, they're open all day, you are not making a comparison of any kind. Even if you say I've eaten as much as I can, you are unlikely to be comparing the quantity of food you can eat with the quantity that you could eat. I mean, this is probably not the thought in your mind. There is no comparison being made in the minds of either the speaker or listener.

If you do not mean 'considered by the speaker', then who else are you asking about?

Last edited:

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The fat kid sentence works. The one about a punch in the gut is missing an article where I've marked it. Even with the article added, it's a non sequitur. Do you mean You could go so far that a punch in the gut feels like nothing more than a tickle?

I thought the reason that ''would be a tickle'' is ungrammatical is because ''as far as'' can't take a clause.

I realized that it's a non sequitur in my main language too(better late than never). Is the reason that that sentence is wrong because the clause after ''as'' makes the sentence non sequitur but not because it can't take a clause? I believe nothing is wrong with ''as far as'' taking a clause in general with movement verbs such as 'go, carry, take'.

With the context, I guess what the writer means with ''as far as'' is understandable, which is why I understand it.

I said ''my last attempt at making examples'' but I want to make one more If you don't mind.

Let's assume we are playing a walking game, and the
referee ask us to go however much we are loved. Can the underlined part be rewritten as ''Go as far as you are loved.''?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's assume we are playing a walking game, and the referee ask us to go however much we are loved. Can the underlined part be rewritten as ''Go as far as you are loved.''?
The as far as version is actually the only one that works at all. It still doesn't make much sense to me, though.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you explain "go however much we are loved/go as far as you are loved" in other words? It makes no sense at all to me. Also, what is a "walking game"?

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Walking game was just to back up what I wrote ''as far as'' so that the sentence wasn't non sequitur.

The extent to which you are loved determines how much you will take a step. Go as far as the extent to which you are loved. // I assume these are correct and hope you get the idea of what I'm trying to say.

Since the referee doesn't know how much they are loved, He leaves to them how much they will take a step.

I can't still figure out whether the reason the sentence was wrong is because it took a clause or still non sequtiur, which I thought wasn't :/.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.