Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm a bit confused as to which sentence we're talking about now.

The following sentence is wrong because the meaning is not clear:

Go as far as you can see me.

When using Go as far as, you should follow with something that makes clear the limit ( or 'extent') that the speaker has in mind.

Go as far as the perimeter.
Go as far as the church.
Go as far as Littlehampton.

So the following sentence is clear enough because the limit is clearly expressed:

Go as far as the extent to which you are loved.

Notice though that the blue 'limit' part is still a noun phrase, and any possible answers that could fill this 'limit' slot are very likely to be noun phrases. However, you could use a clause:

Go as far as you can.
Go as far as you can go.

Here, we interpret the clauses in blue as meaning 'the point beyond which you cannot go'.

Also possible ('the point beyond which you cannot see'):

Go as far as you can see.

It's not very elegant but it makes good enough sense. It's about the limits of your sight from this location.

But adding an extra idea (me), the sense breaks down.

Go as far as you can see me.

Perhaps in context the meaning might be understood, but the thought would be more clearly expressed in other ways, like Keep going until you can't see me any more.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard of anyone suggesting that you take a step that is as big as the amount that you are loved. It makes little/no sense to me. At a push, I could accept something like "Take a step as large as the amount of love you have in your heart". At least that's something you could have a stab at guessing the size of.

Status
Not open for further replies.