... as many genetic differences from each other than as did others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hetzer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I stumbled upon this sentence on p.82, in Chapter 5A, in the textbook "Reading Explorer 4" by National Geographic.

The sentence goes, "It found that people of African descent had twice as many genetic differences from each other than as did others." Here, they talk about the evolution of the human beings.

This sentence means that it found that African descendants had twice as many genetic differences from each other as others, right? The so-called as ... as structure is ok, but what is the use of "than" before the second "as"? Could you tell me how the word "than" grammatically work here in this sentence?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Could you tell me how the word "than" grammatically work here in this sentence?
Have no idea.

Africans had twice as many genetic differences from each other as did others.

Africans had two times more genetic differences from each other than others did.
(some may take it as "three times as many ... as", though)

hetzer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you, Ostap. Just like you wrote, I didn't understand how this "than" works here in this sentence. This English comes from the National Geographic. I believe it is authentic. Does anyone give me some tips to understand this usage of "than"?
Thanks again.

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
This is what I found on Google Books. Same book, same chapter, same page:

Screenshot 2022-08-24 202635.png

"It found that people of African descent had twice as many genetic differences from each other than did others." This edition doesn't have an as after than.

Even so, according to this book, "than" is wrong. It should be "as":
Strictly English: The correct way to write ... and why it matters - Page 125, Simon Heffer · 2011
'... The most notorious is "twice as many visitors came to Britain than last year"; "as last year" is correct.'

Last edited:

hetzer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Wow, thank you very much. Maybe my book is not the latest version. This latest version must be revised. Nonetheless, your opinion is much appreciated. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.