Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This was a question of a very important test in Korea.
1. In the following, what does "balanced against" mean? Does it mean "the time and energy" is lower than "resulting asset"? I think balanced against is not equal to "balanced with", but the translation goes "the time and energy are balanced with(equal to) resulting asset" which makes a really awkward meaning.
I think someone can explain the difference between "balance against" "balance in favor of" "balance with".
2.Is "executed purpose" an abbreviation of "the purpose of the execution"?

ex) So far as you are wholly concentrated on bringing about a certain result, clearly the quicker and easier it is brought about the better. Your resolve to secure a sufficiency of food for yourself and your family will induce you to spend weary days in tilling the ground and tending livestock; but if Nature provided food and meat in abundance ready for the table, you would thank Nature for sparing you much labor and consider yourself so much the better off.
An executed purpose, in short, is a transaction in which the time and energy spent on the execution are balanced against the resulting assets, and the ideal case is one in which the former approximates to zero and the latter to infinity. Purpose, then, justifies the efforts it exacts only conditionally, by their fruits.

Last edited:

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this sentence, balanced against means compared to

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In this sentence, balanced against means compared to

Are you sure? Then, what is the difference between balanced against and balanced with?

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
offset or compare the value of (one thing) with another:
the cost of obtaining such information needs to be balanced against its benefits

counteract or equal the effect or importance of:
he balanced his radical remarks with more familiar declarations

Oxford dictionaries - balance

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. I think someone can explain the difference between "balance against" "balance in favor of" "balance with".
2.Is "executed purpose" an abbreviation of "the purpose of the execution"?
nyota's quotes from Oxford seem to settle the 'balance against/with' question. The translation you were working with is incorrect - as is shown by the later part of that sentence.

I can't think of a situation in which I could use 'balance (verb) in favour of'.

2. I am afraid that 'executed purpose' is pretty meaningless to me.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
How about this one?

"If I am to balance between the sensitivity of having it in Wootton Bassett and the possibility of continuing the quagmire and cycle of death in Afghanistan, then quite honestly I'm going to balance in favour of the latter."

BBC - Johnson 'will back' Wootton Bassett Muslim march ban

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"If I am to balance between the sensitivity of having it in Wootton Bassett and the possibility of continuing the quagmire and cycle of death in Afghanistan, then quite honestly I'm going to balance in favour of the latter."
Out of the mouths of babes and politicians comes babble.

I stand by my words,( with emphasis added) -

"I can't think of a situation in which I could use 'balance (verb) in favour of'".

ps. Is he really going to balance in favoor of continuing the quagmire and cycle of death in Afghanistan?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
nyota's quotes from Oxford seem to settle the 'balance against/with' question. The translation you were working with is incorrect - as is shown by the later part of that sentence.

I can't think of a situation in which I could use 'balance (verb) in favour of'.

2. I am afraid that 'executed purpose' is pretty meaningless to me.

1.I thought "balance A against B" is make A higher than B as against has the meaning of "fight" or "opposed to", but it seems to be wrong. For example "balance working hours against your earning- You used to work 150 hrs a month to make 4000 dollars, but now you overwork 200 hrs to make the same amount"
Does "balance against" mean only comparing two things or balancing the two? The definition "offset" seems to mean some balancing, so it's confusing. The translation goes "balancing the two" but it seems wrong. As you guys said, it is comparing two factors, right?

2. Do you mean "executed purpose" is a writer's mistake for an awkward meaning? Do even native writers sometimes make a clumsy expression that don't make clear sense? As humans are erroneous?

3. This question had to be solved within 1.5 minute, and only 13% of the test applicants got it right. It was a multiple question to choose one of the following five for the blank part. Do you think this is a good question?
① demand exceeds supply, resulting in greater returns
② life becomes fruitful with our endless pursuit of dreams
③ the time and energy are limitless and assets are abundant
④ Nature does not reward those who do not exert efforts
the former approximates to zero and the latter to infinity

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.