• Exciting news! With our new Ad-Free Premium Subscription you can enjoy a distraction-free browsing experience while supporting our site's growth. Without ads, you have less distractions and enjoy faster page load times. Upgrade is optional. Find out more here, and enjoy ad-free learning with us!

be/have been

Status
Not open for further replies.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't know what the underlined part means. And present perfect tense does not usually refer to action which has been completed.
I beg to differ, the present perfect is often used to describe something that started in the past, finished recently, and still has relevance at this moment. Using the example of "I have been sick with flu", if someone said to you "I haven't seen you for a while, have you been ill? you could quite correctly say "(Yes) I have been sick with flu".
Yes, you are right; you can say that.
(As an aside, I should also say that in that sentence above one could also say "(Yes) I was sick with the flu."

But back to your main point, I could have expressed myself better.
The underlined sentence was written in the context of the difference between present perfect and simple past, and in that context present perfect is usually used for an action that continues, while simple past is used for an action that is finished.

I have lived in X for six years.
I lived in X for six years.

It seems that is the main reason we have the present perfect tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts