Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please tell me, what (because of or due to) sounds better in this case? Thank you!

1) Today the problem of mixed infections of plants in Russia is especially acute because of the lack of phytosanitary control and reduction of the list of previously used effective pesticides.

2) Today the problem of mixed infections of plants in Russia is especially acute due to the lack of phytosanitary control and reduction of the list of previously used effective pesticides.

I might prefer due to, but either is OK.

:)

Some grammarians object to the use of "due to" to mean "because of" - the original meaning of "due to" is "caused by" - so if you want to play it safe, write "because of."

My personal view is that "due to" is a practical way of saying "because of," and should be considered correct English.

I'm not a teacher.

Please tell me, what (because of or due to) sounds better in this case? Thank you!

1) Today the problem of mixed infections of plants in Russia is especially acute because of the lack of phytosanitary control and reduction of the list of previously used effective pesticides.

2) Today the problem of mixed infections of plants in Russia is especially acute due to the lack of phytosanitary control and reduction of the list of previously used effective pesticides.
***NOT A TEACHER***May I comment on your nice question? Yes, both are acceptable nowadays. But a few teachers say that there is difference: "due" is technically an adjective. Thus: Sorry, boss. My lateness to work is DUE (to traffic problems). = Lateness + is (linking verb) + due (adjective). "Because of " is a preposition: Sorry, boss. I arrived late (because of traffic problems). The prepositional phrase modifies the verb. In reality, few people use "due" that way. They just use "due to" as a preposition. Even English tests for learners often accept this. Some careful writers, however, try to follow the rule. So for "perfect" English, your sentence should be something like: The especially acute problem of mixed infections of plants in Russia + is + due (to the lack of phytosanitary control and reduction of the list of previouly used effective pesticides.) In reality, probably only the strictest teacher would object to either of your nice sentences. Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back