Because of that, railway companies finally moved green meaning go and used yellow to mean warn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
At first, railway companies used red to mean stop, white to mean go, and green to mean warn. As you could imagine, trains ran into a few problems with white meaning go. For example, one train mistook a bright star for a white light and something unexpected happened. Because of that, railway companies finally moved green meaning go and used yellow to mean warn.

Source: https://zujuan.21cnjy.com/question/detail/4066060

The use of “moved green meaning go” looks odd to me. Is it correct?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No.

How would you rephrase it?

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What about “moved green to the color meaning go”?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say "moved green to mean go'.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At first, railway companies used red to mean stop, white to mean go, and green to mean warn.
I find it odd that "stop" and "go" are not in quotation marks or in italics there, and that "warn" is being said to have been the meaning of green.

(If I commanded you, "Warn!," would you think that I was issuing you a warning or telling you to warn others?)

The meaning would seem to be either:

At first, railway companies used red to mean "stop," white to mean "go," and green to mean "be warned."

or:

At first, railway companies used red to mean to stop, white to mean to go, and green to warn people.

Because of that, railway companies finally moved green meaning go and used yellow to mean warn.

Because of that, railway companies finally decided to use green to mean to go, and yellow to warn people.

Status
Not open for further replies.