Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is there any difference between a transfer/interchange station of a underground railway?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure what the question means. If it's the difference between 'transfer station' and 'interchange station' I doubt it (although some particular transport authority might choose to make a distinction, based on their own needs - for example Transport for London might want to distinguish (in their internal documents) between say Oxford Circus (where many tube lines cross) and Paddington (where tube lines cross and there is a regular inter-city terminus under the same roof. But then there are other distinctions that could be made - for example, at Kings Cross tube lines meet and you have to walk about 100 metres to the rail terminus. (Note for pedants: Wikipedia gives Kings Cross an apostrophe, but that link doesn't. :))

b

PS Yet another case: at Reading (a mainline railway station) a bus service regularly goes to Heathrow airport. I think I've seen this referred to as an 'interchange station' - or possibly 'station interchange' - but only in officialese.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is a transfer/interchange station one kind of station, or are you asking about transfer stations AND interchange stations?

I've never heard of any of those. We just say "station": train station, bus station, subway station.

The American word for "underground" is "subway."

Different subway systems are called different things. In New York, the stations are called "subway stations," in Boston, "T stations," in Washington, D.C., "Metro stations," in San Francisco, "BART stations," and so on.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What's the context? Most passengers would not use the term- we say things like change at Baker Street for the Circle Line.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the OP's city, passengers transfer to another railway at an interchange station, while a transfer station is for waste treatment according to http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/english/environmentinhk/waste/prob_solutions/msw_rts.html

Here in New England (in northeastern US), dumps are called transfer stations, too. I'd never heard it until I moved here.

We sometimes call big train stations where people move from one train line to another terminals, because train lines end (terminate) there. But I've never heard of a subway terminal.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's the context? Most passengers would not use the term- we say things like change at Baker Street for the Circle Line.

Same here.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here in New England (in northeastern US), dumps are called transfer stations, too. I'd never heard it until I moved here.

There's a transfer station of that sort near my office in southwest Ohio. It's not a dump, though; that would be called a sanitary landfill. A transfer station is a place where garbage trucks dump their loads for transfer to the landfill in bigger trucks.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
attachment.php

We can see transfer stations in Hong kong MTR station & West Rail. In Hong Kong I think we use "interchange" for the transport within the same underground railway system. If we go to Shenzhen,China we use "transfer" because some people take the underground railway first and then take boundary crossing railway ( not underground) and get off at China boundary. We can hear some broadcast on the train from Lo wu (China boundary) use "transfer".

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-04-11-48-35-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-06-04-11-48-35-1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2016-06-04-11-58-01-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-06-04-11-58-01-1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The official London Underground map does have the word interchange in the key, but that is the only time the word is used:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

People working on the system may use the term, but passengers never really have any call to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.