Let me transfer the call over to the other dept" or "You can come over and we will ta

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Let me transfer the call over to the other dept" or "You can come over and we will ta

We say "Let me transfer the call over to the other dept" or "You can come over and we will talk to each other". What does "Over" mean in these sentences and what is the correct way to use it?

What is the way to recognise when we can use "Over" in a sentence?

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Re: Let me transfer the call over to the other dept" or "You can come over and we wil

Your two sentences use “over” in different ways.

In the first sentence, “over” is optional, and it is collocated with “transfer” and “to.” “Over to” appears in a variety of phrasal verbs and idioms. See here for a few more: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/over to

In the second sentence, “come over” is a phrasal verb and is used here to mean something like “visit casually.” The speaker is using a casual or friendly tone to invite the person they’re speaking to, and they are probably suggesting that the listener doesn’t need an appointment.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Re: Let me transfer the call over to the other dept" or "You can come over and we wil

Your two sentences use “over” in different ways.

In the first sentence, “over” is optional, and it is collocated with “transfer” and “to.” “Over to” appears in a variety of phrasal verbs and idioms. See here for a few more: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/over to

In the second sentence, “come over” is a phrasal verb and is used here to mean something like “visit casually.” The speaker is using a casual or friendly tone to invite the person they’re speaking to, and they are probably suggesting that the listener doesn’t need an appointment.

Is there a way to know where it can be used?

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia

No. There are too many different uses of “over” for your question to make sense (I count 62 definitions on dictionary.com). I just pointed out that even for the two examples you gave, they are parts of different phrases / verbs so they have different considerations and identifiers for when to use them.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Is there a way to know where it can be used?

No. As we have advised many times in the past, reading well-written texts in English is the best way to become familiar with natural use of the language. How many hours a week do you spend reading English books, magazines and online news articles, written by native speakers?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

No. As we have advised many times in the past, reading well-written texts in English is the best way to become familiar with natural use of the language. How many hours a week do you spend reading English books, magazines and online news articles, written by native speakers?

I spend some time listing native speakers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I spend some time listening to native speakers.

So your answer to my question "How many hours a week do you spend reading ...?" is "None at all". Am I right?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

So your answer to my question "How many hours a week do you spend reading ...?" is "None at all". Am I right?

Yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In my opinion, that's the reason that your written English hasn't improved much since you joined the forum. Listening to people speak English is very different. We don't necessarily speak grammatically. We dither and ponder and change our minds halfway through sentences, we use slang and miss out words.

You will learn a lot more by reading. Please try it for a month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.