"being a good samaritan" or "being a good samaritan that he was"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning101

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi all,
I wonder which is correct.

"(Beng a good Samaritan/Being a good Samaritan that he was), he took him by his arm and slowly walked him home."

Re: "being a good samaritan" or "being a good samaritan that he was"?

Who wrote that sentence?

nephew's work.

nephew's work.

That's not a complete sentence. Do you mean "My nephew wrote it"? If so, when is your nephew's homework assignment due to be submitted?

"(Beng a good Samaritan/Being a good Samaritan that he was), he took him by his arm and slowly walked him home."

Your nephew could simply say:

Good Samaritan that he was, he took him by his arm and slowly walked him home.

He wrote "being a good Samaritan" but school teacher corrected it as "Being a good Samaritan that he was". Then he asked why couldn't he use the first phrase since it was given by his tuition teacher and asked me which was correct. Since I am not a native speaker, so I thought better I ask someone.

He wrote "being a good Samaritan" but his schoolteacher corrected it [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] to "Being a good Samaritan that he was". Then he asked why couldn't he use the first phrase, since it was given by his tuition teacher, and asked me which was correct. Since I am not a native speaker, [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] I thought it would be better [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] for me to ask someone.

Your nephew's schoolteacher was wrong. It's possible to say "Being the good Samaritan that he was/is" but the indefinite article doesn't work. Your nephew's original version, "Being a good Samaritan, he took him by the arm and slowly walked him home" is absolutely fine.
They have slightly different meanings. Your nephew's original simply means that he was being a good Samaritan at that time, by helping the other person. The longer version, starting "Being the good Samaritan that he was" means that he regularly does good deeds.

Can you explain the difference between your nephew's schoolteacher and his "tuition teacher"? (I think you might mean "private tutor" by the second.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back