Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I think I should use "handicapped".

- Being handicapped did not stop her from chasing her dreams.

- Despite being handicapped, she chased her dreams.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I thought being is needed in both sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that it's no longer considered appropriate to use the word "handicapped" (in the UK, at least). We use "disabled" (or even "differently-abled").

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that it's no longer considered appropriate to use the word "handicapped" (in the UK, at least).
It's fine in the States.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
handicapped = adjective
a handicap = noun

We do also use handicap as a verb, but you should get the difference above straight before you try to do that.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note that it's no longer considered appropriate to use the word "handicapped" (in the UK, at least). We use "disabled" (or even "differently-abled").

It's fine in the States.

I think it's fine for the vast majority of people in the UK, too. The more 'technical' word is disabled/disability, which would be used in formal contexts, such as government literature, law, academia, etc.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fifteen years ago or so, a young visitor from England was shocked to see "Handicapped parking" signs and the like over here. She found it quite offensive. I explained that the word was perfectly acceptable here, but I don't think she bought it.

The same girl refused to order mahi mahi in a restaurant, saying she'd never dream of eating dolphins. Mahi mahi was formerly known as "dolphin fish". It is, of course, a fish and completely unrelated to the mammals called "dolphins". She wasn't so sure. :-?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it's fine for the vast majority of people in the UK, too. The more 'technical' word is disabled/disability, which would be used in formal contexts, such as government literature, law, academia, etc.

I have to disagree. Whilst BrE speakers would immediately recognise and understand it, I don't think many people would use it anymore. I would say that's been the case for well over ten years.

Inclusive language has become quite high profile in the last decade. My partially sighted cousin would be horrified to be described as handicapped. She describes herself as visually impaired and/or disabled.

Anyone planning to visit the UK might be interested in the information HERE.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have to disagree.

Okay. I don't know if it's wise to get into a discussion about inclusive language here, but I'll just say that I have serious reservations about much of the enterprise, and I'd guess that the majority of the population would share at least some of these reservations. The webpage you've linked advises avoiding the phrase blind drunk because it may associate impairment with negativity! I take particular exception to the idea that the British government feels it has a place to advise on language use.

My strong view on this issue is that we should not be pushing this kind of prescription on the forum (and I'm glad we generally don't), although I feel equally strongly that we do have a responsibility to make learners aware of any issues of usage, especially when it pertains to the potential consequences of their word choices.

I really hope this post isn't seen to be an inappropriate expression of a political view. I'm normally very careful not to mention anything to do with politics, but this particular issue is wholly about language use (exactly what we're concerned with on the forum), which is a topic I'm deeply interested in and thoughtful of, and which I think should be openly and respectfully discussed.

With view to how commonly used the word handicapped actually is, I'll agree that it is significantly less common that it was ten years ago, across all kinds of discourse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.