Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Below are a few ways we can link ideas together in a sentence. To make a complex sentence we normally should have two things- a dependent clause and an independent clause. A clause is a group of words with both a subject and a verb. An example of a dependent clauses is '….because the weather was cold.'"
What part of speech ' below are a few ways' belongs to ? Is ' we' the subject of the sentence and link acts as a main verb? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Below are a few ways we can link ideas together in a sentence.

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, J:

I am 99% sure that my answer is accurate.

1. First, let's (mentally) put that sentence in the usual order:

"A few ways (that) we can link ideas together in a sentence are below."

a. The subject is "A few ways."

b. "(that) we can link ideas together in a sentence" is an adjective clause that explains (modifies) "ways."

c. "are" is NOT a linking verb. It is a full verb. It means something like "to exist."

d. "below" is an adverb.

Here is a dictionary sentence: "He jumped from the window into the moat below."

The dictionary says that "below" in that sentence is an adverb.

As you have probably already guessed, two words are missing [ellipsis]: "He jumped from the window into the moat that was (existed) below."

Dictionary source: The New Oxford American Dictionary (2001).

Last edited:
jigneshbharati, please cite the source and author of any text you quote.

What part of speech ' below are a few ways' belongs to ? Is ' we' the subject of the sentence and link acts as a main verb?

Ask What part of speech does 'below are a few ways' belong to? Is 'we' the subject of the sentence and does 'link' act as a main verb?

Also note how I removed spaces after two single quotes and before a question mark, and added single quotes around the word "link".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back