Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I made a sentence by using the word "beyond".

Can you check with this?

He is a fat boy and rarely do the exercise.

I say, he can win the 100-metre sprint beyond our expected.:lol:
(Actually, he was preparing too much behind us.)

Last edited:
I think it is 'your expectation' instead of 'beyond your expectation' if you think he can win it, but I am not a teacher.

What on earth is a "100 mile short run"? Admittedly, I rarely even run for a bus but I can't imagine running 100 miles being described by anyone as a short run!

He is a fat boy and rarely does any exercise.
He is a fat boy and rarely exercises.

emsr2d2,
What's about 100 mile running? Is it ok to replace the "100 mile short run"?

I would say 'a 100-metre sprint', but I am not a teacher.

Matthew Wai, what makes you think that a 100-mile run is actually a 100-metre sprint?

Polyester - please clarify the length of the run in question. Is it really 100 miles?

Now changed, is it ok now?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Polyester:

I am not clear as to what meaning you wish to express.

I can think of at least two different meanings:

1. "His winning the race yesterday was far beyond our expectations."

2. "I am confident that tomorrow his performance in the race will be way beyond our expectations."

(No. 1 might mean something like: When he won yesterday, we were all shocked. We had NOT known that this "fat boy who did little exercise" had been practicing very hard for the race.)

Matthew Wai, what makes you think that a 100-mile run is actually a 100-metre sprint?
I think the OP has confused 'mile' with 'metre', but I am not a teacher.

Polyester, please note that 'mile' and 'metre' mean “英里” and “公尺” respectively in your native language.

I made a sentence [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] using the word "beyond". Can you check it? [STRIKE]with this?[/STRIKE]

He is a fat boy and rarely does [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] exercise.

I say "He can win the 100-metre sprint beyond our expected". :lol:

(Actually, he was preparing too much behind us.) The underlined sentence does not make sense.

Like The Parser, I'm not quite clear what you are trying to say, especially with the final sentence.

I think you might mean something like "He is a fat boy who rarely does any exercise. However, I think he might surprise us by winning the 100-metre spring".

Can you try to write the final sentence in a different way?

Back to Zebedee again! :oops:

To clarify for everyone else, I did of course mean "sprint".

Thank you all helping me to improve English.
emsr2d2, I try to write the final sentence which underlined in above post#11.

Actually, he did a lot of exercise at every single night that we didn't know he did it.

Is clear now?

'He had done a lot of exercise every night without our knowledge, so his winning the race yesterday was far beyond our expectations.'

Not a teacher.

One more question here...
Matthew,
Why does the word "expectations" add "s" in the end?

I think this is because 'our expectations' includes more than one expectation, but I am a teacher.

Generally, the plural is used in that type of construction, when talking about hopes, expectations, aspirations, dreams, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back