Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Let's say I am writing an email to someone in a business setting and the sole purpole of the email is to send a document (a file attached to the email) to the recipient. What do I write in the email? I am looking for succinct language that I can use in general. Of course, I will not want to be too brief about it as to sound impolite or that I did not enjoy sending the email. If I have the title of document in the subject line and it is quite enough to identify the document to the recipient, what kind of language can I use to point the recipient to the subject line for the purpose of identifying the document that I am sending? Will something like below sound too bad (impolite)?

Dear Whoever,

I am sending you the document mentioned in the subject line for your information, please check.

Best regards,

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it is not self-evident, then I would say something like "Please see the attached file."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are too many variables. Did this person request the document? Do they routinely receive it (like a weekly report)? Is it unexpected so you need to explain it? Is action required? If so, is there a deadline? Is it for information only? Is their receiving it a benefit to them or is their review a favor to you?

Your sample says it's for their information, but then you ask them to review it, so that will not work.

rou

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
There are too many variables. Did this person request the document? Do they routinely receive it (like a weekly report)? Is it unexpected so you need to explain it? Is action required? If so, is there a deadline? Is it for information only? Is their receiving it a benefit to them or is their review a favor to you?

Your sample says it's for their information, but then you ask them to review it, so that will not work.

Thank you for the reply. Most of the time when I am in this kind of situation (i.e. wondering what to write) I am sending a document periodically and the recipient is expecting it. There is no action required (unless they find a problem in the document). It is the recipients' job to read the document and they are not being asked to review it and give me feedback. Thanks in advance for more ideas and advice.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then you could simply say "Attached is the monthly sales figures report" or "Attached is the quarterly performance report by division."

Perhaps something like "If you no longer wish to receive thie report, or if you know of anyone else who should be receiving it, please let me know."

Status
Not open for further replies.