[General] born of, born in and born into -- how to use them in different context?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have seen the following three similar sentences so far:

1. He was born in a worker's family.
2. He was born of a peasant family.
3. He was born into a poor family.

Maybe, they are used in different context. Can anyone please give some examples to illustrate how to use the three different sentences properly?

I'd say that born of is the formal way of saying born to; as far as the phrase born in is concerned, it's an odd collocation to me, and it's meant to read born into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id say that born of is the formal way of saying born to; as far as the phrase born in is concerned, it's an odd collocation to me, and it's meant to read born into.

I also think that 'born in' is unnatural and native speakers almost never use it this way, but I do find the sentence: Stanton was born in a Pentecostal family in a mostly Jewish suburb of Cleveland -- newsobserver.com. And I am quite confused about the difference between 'born into something' and 'born of/to somebody' and what kind of context they used in.

'Something' and 'somebody' refer to a family and parents respectively, so what are you confused about?

I do find the sentence: Stanton was born in a Pentecostal family in a mostly Jewish suburb of Cleveland -- newsobserver.com.
Finding a sentence doesn't signify that you must follow it.

'Something' and 'somebody' refer to a family and parents respectively, so what are you confused about?

Finding a sentence doesn't signify that you must follow it.

Then what's the difference between the following two sentences:

1. He was born into a peasant family.
2. He was born of/to a peasant family.

If you want a simple rule, use into before family and to before saying the parents. (Don't use of before family.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back