Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's a word for the city in which a person is born? I wanted to use "birthplace" but I feel like it's only used for famous people. What can I use instead of "birthplace" in this sentence?

My birthplace, Venice, is known as one of the most charming cities on the planet.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Birthplace' is okay, but we also refer to it as our 'hometown'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "birthplace" solely for the place I was actually born. I'd use hometown for the town I grew up in. In my case, for example, I was born in Heston*, we lived in Brumley* until I was 2 years 11 months old, then we moved to Shettenbridge* where I grew up and where, with the exception of a couple of brief sojourns to other places, I still live. (*I haven't used the real town names for obvious reasons!)
Therefore, for me, my birthplace was Heston, my hometown is Shettenbridge, and I really wouldn't mention Brumley at all because I was very young and I remember nothing about it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For some reason, I would always say 'place of birth' rather than 'birthplace' if I used the noun.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For some reason, I would always say 'place of birth' rather than 'birthplace' if I used the noun.
Come to think of it, so would I. I think it's probably because that's how it's worded on most forms we fill in in the UK.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You're probably right. It's the same with 'date of birth' vs 'birthdate'.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I would use "birthplace" solely for the place I was actually born. I'd use hometown for the town I grew up in. In my case, for example, I was born in Heston*, we lived in Brumley* until I was 2 years 11 months old, then we moved to Shettenbridge* where I grew up and where, with the exception of a couple of brief sojourns to other places, I still live. (*I haven't used the real town names for obvious reasons!)
Therefore, for me, my birthplace was Heston, my hometown is Shettenbridge, and I really wouldn't mention Brumley at all because I was very young and I remember nothing about it.
Shettenbridge sounds like a lovely town!😂

What if you lived about one decade of your life in each of those towns? What would you call them then?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Birthplace can be deceiving. I never lived in the city where I was born. There's no hospital in the place that is my hometown.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What if you lived about one decade of your life in each of those towns? What would you call them then?
Honestly, I'm not sure which I would call my hometown. I'd probably pick the one I'm living in now. My birthplace, however, would always be Heston.

Status
Not open for further replies.