Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
I've written a rant about [unspecified football team]. Are there any mistakes in this part?

[Unspecified football team] is a total basket case. In their 100 or so year long history, they've never won any significant titles or trophies. This season, the bow-legged, overweight team have been deservingly loosing almost all games so far. Best would be if they withdrew from soccer and maybe try baseball, squash or any other sport where they'd be out of my attention and can't ruin my and my friends' bets anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've written a rant about [unspecified football team]. Are there any mistakes in this part?

[Unspecified football team] is a total basket case. This doesn't work. You can (but you shouldn't) call an individual person a "basket case" but not a team.

In their [STRIKE]100 or so year long[/STRIKE] 157-year history, they've never won any significant titles or trophies. So far this season, the bow-legged, overweight team have [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE] deservingly [STRIKE]loosing[/STRIKE] lost almost all their games. [STRIKE]so far.[/STRIKE]

The best thing they could do would be [STRIKE]if they withdrew from[/STRIKE] to give up soccer and maybe try baseball, squash or any other sport where [STRIKE]they'd be out of [/STRIKE] they wouldn't get my attention and [STRIKE]can't[/STRIKE] couldn't ruin my and my friends' bets anymore.

See above.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could pluralize and say 'are (total) basket cases', or better yet 'are all (total) basket cases'.

Status
Not open for further replies.