Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

This question was asked earlier on WR and here's the link. In the morning, there are more members.

Context:

The outbreak of novel virus hit my country severely because of the lunar new year speeds its transmission. Yesterday, many chicken were killed because of H5N1 in Hunan province. Many people were grumbling "What a 2020, I want a restart of this year". I wonder if I can say "Calamities thrive the country" in such a time. I want to say that the "calamities" like the earthquake, the new virus, etc, unite the country and make people to work together to fight them.

I put the Chinese phrase in a Chinese-English dictionary anf I got "Challenges makes the country stronger". Or "deep distress resurrect a nation" or so on. But the basically meaning here of "thrive" doesn't mean "to prosper" but to make us more united and the country stronger. When people are one of mind, we do things successfully.

A native speaker said "Challenges makes the country stronger" is natural. I wonder if I can have your opinion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"thrive" is an intransitive verb so you can't say "Calamities thrive the country".

Something doesn't thrive something else. Something just thrives. You can say "The country thrives on calamity" (although I don't like it much).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A native speaker said "Challenges makes the country stronger" is natural. I wonder if I can have your opinion.
Are you sure that's exactly what the native speaker said? It includes a very unlikely error.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Are you sure that's exactly what the native speaker said? It includes a very unlikely error.

I'm sure. I didn't notice this mistake, GoesStation. Later it was pointed out by another member of the forum.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm sure. I didn't notice this mistake, GoesStation. Later it was pointed out by another member of the forum.
It's easier to make that kind of mistake in writing than in speech.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Adversity brings us together.

Or:

Adversity unites us.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Challenges don't make anything stronger. Instead, they test what strength you have.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That is a saying: that which does not kill us makes us stronger. I suppose that includes challenges.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a saying: "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." I suppose that includes challenges.

It is true that the saying exists. However, it's hard to know what it's supposed to mean. (I know somebody who got hit by a truck. I'm pretty sure it didn't make him stronger.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It is true that the saying exists. However, it's hard to know what it's supposed to mean. (I know somebody who got hit by a truck. I'm pretty sure it didn't make him stronger.)

The quote as we know it comes from Friedrich Nietzsche's original German. Nietzsche's point was that the wise man is able to turn even life's most grievous accidents to his own advantage. Apparently, your friend was not a wise man. :)

Nietzsche wrote this aphorism to teach his readers something, rather than as a statement of fact.

"Aus der Kriegsschule des Lebens—Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.”

“Out of life’s school of war—what does not kill me, makes me stronger.”

Twilight of the Idols (1888)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

If we learn the right lessons from our hardships they make us wiser.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If we learn the right lessons from our hardships they make us wiser.

Not bad but I think I prefer Nietzsche's version. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.