Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I think that knowing how to use a computer correctly is very important today because this knowledge can give you a further chance to get a job.
So if you are capable/able to use it in a sufficient way it's a good thing.

Are they both good in this case?
I know that "capable" generally indicates the ability, the capacity to do something, whereas "able" is used to express the possibility, the chance to do something, or the power to do something else. Is it correct? Any examples?

Not a teacher

I think the following:

So if you are capable of using/able to use it in an efficient way it's a good thing.

M

Not a teacher

I think the following:

So if you are capable of using/able to use it in an efficient way it's a good thing.

M

On the basis of what you've written, it would seem there are not substancial differenzes between them, except for the grammatical construction...:-|

Not a teacher

Yep! In my humble opinion. :)

M.

I'll be waiting for a teacher's or a native's opinion or explanation...;-)

This native thinks the words are basically the same in meaning. I would probably only use "capable" to describe someone who is strong or talented. I might say you were able to swim if you could keep yourself from drowning. I would say "he is a capable swimmer" if you were very good at it.

I think that knowing how to use a computer correctly is very important today because this knowledge can give you a further chance to get a job.
So if you are capable/able to use it in a sufficient way it's a good thing.

Are they both good in this case?
I know that "capable" generally indicates the ability, the capacity to do something, whereas "able" is used to express the possibility, the chance to do something, or the power to do something else. Is it correct? Any examples?

NOT A TEACHER.

For me, only "able" works in your example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back