[General] Closing Signing of a Business Letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rums03@gmail.com

Member Type
Other
What is the Legal implications for signing a Business Letter as :-

For and on behalf of :-
(name of the company)
AND

Yours faithfully,

xyz.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The person signing is, I believe, acting as a fiduciary- they are expected to hold the highest standards of care in their actions, or face the legal consequences. However, this is a question of law and I would recommend asking a lawyer for the details of what it involves.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The person signing is, I believe, acting as a fiduciary- they are expected to hold the highest standards of care in their actions, or face the legal consequences. However, this is a question of law and I would recommend asking a lawyer for the details of what it involves.

Very good advice, Rums03.

I recall a problem, years ago, when I was working in Germany. In England at the time a letter might be signed: J Bloggs pp Fred Smith. This simply meant that J Bloggs (probably a secretary) had signed the letter for Fred Smith, who had left the office before the letter had been typed up for his signature. At least, that was what I understood. In Germany, however, I discovered that it meant that J Bloggs had full legally-recognised authority to sign for, and on behalf of, Fred Smith. If the letter committed Fred to anything legally, then J Bloggs would have committed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.