collapsed on top of each other, left to right, as the bus turned over.

Vladv1

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Of the nine people onboard, two lay trapped beneath the bunks, which had collapsed on top of each other, left to right, as the bus turned over. Five
sustained minor injuries – a broken toe, something else – and one lay dead beneath the stricken bus, his legs poking out from under its side.
Mick Wall "Enter night"
Could you explain in other words the bolded sentence-what does left to right mean here? What does bunks falling on top of each other mean? I can't imagine the scene.

Apparently, there was an accident. The bus turned over. There were some injuries-- some minor, some not so minor. There was also a fatality.

Apparently, there was an accident. The bus turned over. There were some injuries-- some minor, some not so minor. There was also a fatality.
Thanks . Could you explain these in other words please w bunksw hich had collapsed on top of each other, left to right

I presume that the bunks on the left side of the bus moved and fell on the ones on the right side of the bus. As the bus turned on its side.

Thanks . Could you explain these in other words please w bunksw hich had collapsed on top of each other, left to right
Do you see what the problem with the text is?

I have never heard of bunks on a bus before. The bus turned over. I know that much. Imagine some things falling on top of other things.

I travelled several times on night buses in China, sleeping in bunk beds.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back