Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello Forum
I have reworded my question so hopefuly its suitable for the forum, a comprehension question.
i wanted to contact the moderator check but at present could not see a way to message.

I reworded my question, i believes it is comprehension question.

1 The dog can be taken for a walk by:
2 John; or
3 Peter; only
4 when it is not raining; and
5 Fred is only allowed to take the dog for a walk on Tuesdays.

Does the “only when it is not raining” apply to Fred?
I would like “only when it is not raining” to apply to Fred, but Fred's line appears after 4 if it is possible.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You didn't reword your deleted text — you created a completely different post..

It's not a comprehension question, which would require a student to read a passage of text and answer questions about it.

Please make it clear what you are asking, and why.

(Always capitalise I every time you write it, and as a native English-speaker, you must know that 'I believes' is wrong.)

iain123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello Rover KE and Forum
Would it be better to say i have used totaly different subject matter but in a similar format as it appeared in my first ever post on the forum?

"i" Sorry I have dyslexia I do not always see errors in my writting even with the help of aids.

The reason I think this is a comprehension question for me at least as I cannot comprehend if the

Does the “only when it is not raining” apply to Fred if he going to take the dog for a walk?

I have written my text below as one sentance maybe this will aid me to gain my answer

The dog can be taken for a walk by John or Peter only when it is not raining and Fred is only allowed to take the dog for a walk on Tuesdays.

Looking at my sentance above the only when it is not raining does not appear now to apply to Fred?
So what I want do if its possible to keep Fred at the end of the sentance but only when it is not raining to also apply to him if thats possible and without repeating the only when its raining if that is possible?

I have repeated the when its not raining, in the sentance below for Fred but I would like to avoid that if possible for Fred. The dog can be taken for a walk by John or Peter only when it is not raining and Fred is only allowed to take the dog for a walk on Tuesdays when it is not raining.

I am not sure, if the word additionaly in the revised sentance below makes it a requirement for Fred that its not raining to walk the dog or just a replacement for the joining word/conjunction and?

The dog can be taken for a walk by John or Peter only when it is not raining additionaly Fred is only allowed to take the dog for a walk on Tuesdays?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I understand it, they take turns walking the dog. However, if Fred wants to walk the dog more often than he has been that's fine with me, but it's not my dog. Fred should probably talk to the others to make sure they're okay with him walking the dog more often. 😊