Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this expression, "concern ourselves with technicalities", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

He likes you, Kees said suddenly. It’s almost as if he finds your presence soothing. I tried not to flinch, I was aware that Kees was observing me closely. Various words flashed into my mind again—perpetrator, ride- through, ethnic cleansing. But that’s not the only reason why it’s useful for us to have you here, Kees continued. He folded his arms and stared at the floor. Your reaction helps us understand what the emotional effect of the evidence and the testimony is likely to be. To some extent we are too inured. He gestured to the papers spread across the table with one hand. Even as we must concern ourselves with technicalities, it is important to remember the emotional component. Your response is a good reminder of how volatile the feelings around a case like this are.

- Katie Kitamura, Intimacies, Chapter 9

This is a novel published in 2021 in the United States of America. The protagonist is an interpreter working at the International Criminal Court at The Hague. Now she is at a meeting at which the accused (a former African president who stands accused of war crimes) and his defense counsel are present, to provide interpretive services. And Kees, one of the lawyers in his defense counsel, is talking to the protagonist.

In this part, I wonder what "technicalities" means in particular.
Would that mean legalese?
Or perhaps, some specific law terms and provisions they are checking to see if there is any point that could be used for the advantage of the accused...? o_O

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
technicalities - fine points of the law

**one of his lawyers

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
So the lawyers here are dealing with (=concern ourselves with) fine point of the law (=technicalities)!
I truly appreciate your help. :)