Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We live in a world of unimaginable surprises - from the fusion energy that lights the sun to the genetic and evolutionary consequences of this light's dancing for eons upon the earth - and yet paradise conforms to our most superficial concerns with all the fidelity of a Caribbean cruise. This is wonderously strange.
(Episode from "Death: The Fount of Illusions")
Source: The End of Faith by Sam Harris

Does the phrase "concerns with all the fidelity of a Caribbean cruise" mean "concerns with all the loyalty to Jesus Christ"? The use of "a Caribbean cruise" appears to be metonymy to me referring to Jesus. I am not very sure, because the phrase seems possibly mean "concerns with all the genuity of a Nazareth man".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's seems unlikely to me, especially as Harris is an outspoken atheist. I think he means that people see heaven as similar to a luxury cruise, with very little to do with Jesus and more to do with cocktails at the bar.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If so, what is the definition for "fidelity" there?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The phrase has nothing to do with Jesus Christ. The idea is that a Caribbean cruise conforms to our superficial concerns in that it satisfies our superficial needs and desires.

The word fidelity goes with conforms. Something 'conforms faithfully' to something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.